We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Newcastle
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Planning a 2 week holiday to New York next summer with the family (2 adults plus 18 and 16 year old kids) We are looking for somewhere to go for a few days to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city to relax. Happy to hire a car but don't want to drive for more than 2 hours. Could anyone help a confused Brit with ideas of relaxing destinations :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
517 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

If you want beach, Jersey shore or the Hamptons. if you want hiking, relaxation, etc, the Hudson Valley.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Hudson Valley. Lots of old mansions, visual arts, history. Eat at Culinary Institute of America. Walk Across the Hudson.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

You'll be competing with NYers who are looking for the same thing but....The Hamptons, the Jersey shore, the Berkshires, Bucks County Pennsylvania, Litchfield county area of Ct.

This will give you an idea of some of those places and a few others

gothamist.com/2013/06/19/the_best_weekend_ge…

Newcastle
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Thanks for the ideas folks, it is really difficult trying to plan from the UK when you don't know the area so your help is much appreciated. I will check out all of the ideas and look forward to our visit :)

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Keep in mind that so many New Yorkers don't own cars that it can be very difficult to get a rental car on short notice for a Weekend. Don't rely on a fly-by-night company that might confirm your reservation and then say, "Sorry, sold out". You probably want to be out of town on Monday when some museums are closed anyway. Although the Met, MOMA, and PS1 are all open Mondays now.

Also consider that nearby resorts can be just as expensive as NYC hotels! Just so you're not disappointed. You might say that the Catskill Mountains used to be our Brighton, post-war. But after years of decline, they're almost chic again. Think about whether you want Beach, Mountain, Culture, Dining, and whether you want "bungalow" (look it up), cottage, hotel, or resort.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Thanks, I always book car hire before we go anywhere as I like to be super organised in advance and quite happy to go midweek when the locals are at work as our time is our own but I will make sure I book with a well known firm just to be sure as I would hate that to happen. Don't mind the price of the hotels etc so much it is more just for some peace and quiet as my husband would go mad with two full weeks in the big city. Thanks :)

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

Depending on traffic, it could be uptown.

Another vote for the Hudson Valley-Cold Spring, CIA, Storm King (Wonderful, wonderful huge outdoor sculpture garden) and more.

8. Re: Places to stay within 2 hours drive of New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18