We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

kent
Level Contributor
217 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

Hello all , when ever I've been to the states I've had my family with me , this time it's a girly trip , so my kids will be texting- face time- email and what's App! To keep I contact with their mum!

So I seem to remember that I need to turn off Data Roaming - any other advice?.

I have an iPhone 4S and I'm on t- mobile (EE)

Jac x

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

Look for free wifi on the run, there are lots of places. Your hotel may even have free wifi.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

Don't forget that when in the US you will be paying for BOTH incoming and outgoing calls!

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

Check this out - http://www.readysim.com/shop.html

Its a prepaid sim, plug-and-play, no strings attached. I guess 1 GB of data is plenty for maps/blogs/TA/... Considering you'll have also wifi available often.

Public wifi wont keep you online everywhere, probably on places when you'll need it.

I would also like to know what the fellow tripadvisers think about ReadySim..

I'm thinking on buying it from Super Value Electronics on 5th Ave, as I'll be around there on my first day.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

If your family have iphones/smartphones why not use an app like whatsapp or viber? You can speak to them where ever you can get wifi? Thats what I plan to do when I go!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

If your needing 2 check something on the go, even standing by the door of a Starbucks etc, you can pick up there wifi, handy for a quick mail, or check on Facebook!! :)

6. Re: Mobile phone use and avoid big bills!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16