We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

We are taking our teenage kids for the second time to New York.

First time around we have seen all the major tourist things, this time we are looking for the less obvious.

We will do the obvious; dropping the ball on Times Square and skating (Rockefeller centre or the park?) and are looking for more suggestions.

What's fun and what is fun for teenagers????

Thanks for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,932 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

I would seriously rethink the plan of waiting for the ball to drop on Times Square. You will have to pick your spot really early in the day after which you are enclosed in that pen. You can't leave (if you do, you can't return), ergo, no washroom breaks, no searching for food and entertainment. I don't know how the patience quotient of your teenagers are with the idea of being cooped up in what could possibly be a cold, very cold, and maybe damp day for hours on end, with no end in sight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,036 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

Oh, please do rethink the misery of 10 hours of having to stand and not be able to use the bathroom or much else.

You have seen all the sites? There are guidebooks bursting at the seams with all there is to see - I am guessing you mean you have seen the most obvious popular sites - but, there is so much more.

Maybe if you mention what your kids interests are (music, fashion, art, food, etc) people can offer up some useful suggestions. All kids are different.

I'd also give them the guidebook and ask them to choose a few places they might like to see - again, there is a world of things to do and see here and I am certain you did not see them all. I live here and haven't seen them all.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

Have you been to the Tenement Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art? Have you skated in Bryant Park, toured the Library? Gone to a Basketball game? Shopped for dresses? Eaten at Katz's? Eaten at a Korean Restaurant or Sylvia's?

It is virtually impossible to make suggestions if you don't tell us what you have already done. Knowing the age and genders of your teens would help, too

Edited: 30 October 2013, 22:03
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

Ball Drop - you might want to read this from the official website

timessquarenyc.org/events/….UnGFf-bn_IU

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

If you decide not to watch the ball drop, see this thread for a list of things to do with children under 21 both in and out of Times Square and also what you can do if you want to avoid Times Square altogether

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6948…

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

Regarding other things to see and do, have you asked your teenagers to do any research for the trip?

If they are teenagers they will have no problems jumping on the Internet and looking for things that interest them. Point them to Trip Advisor and websites such as www.nycgo.com and see what they come up with. It will make the holiday much more inclusive for them.

As a start though, consider the Madison Square Garden All Access Tour which resumes on 7 November, the Intrepid Museum and a basketball or ice hockey game.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

I agree watching the ball will be hard, cold, freezing, if u go wear a diaper , bring food n bundle up, b prepared to stand for hours ...

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

Very few people have seen all of the " touristy things". There are SO MANY of them! You might want to list what you have seen for suggestions about what else to do and see, and also provide some idea of your interests.

Take a look at the Top Questions section and the general TA "things to do" and see what you have missed and which of them might interest you.

As others have stated, you can't just drop by to see the ball drop. It's very challenging to do.

For seasonal ideas, seeing the various Christmas light and window displays is a great thing to do. They are up until New Years.

You may want to lead your teens to a good guidebook and/or websites and let them propose some things to do.

Have you done any of the many walking tours? There are lots of them focusing on various neighborhoods, themes and interests.

9. Re: 2nd visit with teenagers to New York around New Year's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16