We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flights for September 2014

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking flights for September 2014

Hello,

My Fiancé and I planning on getting married in New York in late September 2014 and I was wondering whether anyone has any advice on when would be the best time to book flights and accommodation?

At the moment we're looking at flying out on Thursday 25th September so that we can get our permit on the Friday and get married on the Saturday.

We're pretty laid back as travellers and quite often book last minute, but in this case we're going to be accompanied by about 15-20 of our family and friends who keep asking what the plans are. For info, the majority of people will probably travel home on Monday 29th September.

Airlines will be shortly releasing their flights for the weekend we're going (some like Virgin are already out). I think the quotes that I've got so far are quite high. Flights with Virgin are over £600.

I've been to New York twice before and we only paid about £350 for flights. I know its been a while since our last visit in 2006 but I was expecting to be quoted around £400-£450 for economy flights.

My instinct is telling me to hold off booking until the New Year as I think I remember reading something about flights being cheapest about 8-9 months before you fly but I'm nervous about the fact that all our guests will be looking to us for advice and I don't want to get it wrong!!

I'd be grateful for any advice from people who have had more recent experience of booking flights.

Thanks

Sarah

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking flights for September 2014

Definately hold off, when flights first get released airlines dont tend to release the lower fares until a few months down the line. I would suggest looking again in January and wait for a fare of £400 ish.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 21:57
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking flights for September 2014

also, submit your email to airline newsletters .... most have certain periods in which they have offers ... (I'm looking to fly the same time and will hold back at least untill the 'world-deal-weeks' of KLM, next January

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking flights for September 2014

Thanks both for your quick replies. I think we'll hang tight for now and let our friends and family now that it will be more cost effective to book in the new year.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,394 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking flights for September 2014

Are you booking for the whole group or just yourselves? If it is the whole group I'd break it into smaller groups of maybe 4. Prices tend to rise as seats book up, in smaller groups you might get some at £380, some at £400 and some at £450, if a large group books and it surpasses the number of cheaper seats available, you all pay the higher rate. If everyone is responsible for their own bookings, get in first and bag the best rates! lol

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking flights for September 2014

I think its too early also to book but look at

kayak.com

skyscanner.co.uk

6. Re: Booking flights for September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17