We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

Hi guys,

Do you think it is safe to leave the purchase of the tickets for POTP until the actual performance day? Has anybody used the app in question? and are rear mezzanine seats really so bad - or is it worth to pay double the price and sit in the Front Mezzanine or Orchestra?

Finally, I booked a table for 5 pm in Capital Grill in Times Building - is it ok in order to be on time to see the show at 7? Or should I book for earlier?

Thanks in advance

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

I would be more inclined to buy discounted tickets in advance through www.broadwaybox.com (left hand side of the screen for discounts). More seat selection that way.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

Thanks, BrooklynBrdge! What about timing - is it ok, you think? And is Rear Mezzanine ok?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

I had to look up what you meant. It's not the Times Building, it's the Time-Life building. Different building. It's a fifteen minute walk from the restaurant to the theater. Tell them when you sit that you have theater plans, and be prepared to not dawdle. If you do that, you should be fine. I've never seen the show, so I have no first hand experience with rear mez at the Majestic, but the sight lines will be fine, you'll just be further away.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

My only experience with the rear mezz was when my wife and I had tickets to Nice Work If You Can Get It and our kids decided at the last minute that they wanted to come, so all we could get for them was rear mezz. They said it was like sitting in the trailer trash section. People sat in the last row until the lights went dim (the last row must have been the cheapest), then they all ignored the ushers' pleas to stay seated and ran forward like bulls to try to get closer available seats. They talked through the show, one woman was translating into someone else's ear, and the crinkling candy wrapper brigade was out in full force. When we went to see them at intermission, they were miserable. We didn't ask for it, but an usher took pity on them and pointed them to two open seats in the front mezz, which they said was much better.

Moral of the story: you get what you pay for.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

"They talked through the show, one woman was translating into someone else's ear, and the crinkling candy wrapper brigade was out in full force."

Unfortunately, this is true of all seats, not just the back.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

Thanks, BrooklynBrdge - and apologies for mixing the buildings!:-) I think I will purchase the Front Mezz after reading the review by Sai H!! thanks again!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

I have a somewhat different answer about front vs rear mezz. If (and this is a big iff) you are buying at the theater with discount code in had, or if you are buying in advance over the web, then you can pick your seats (vs TKTS booth which does not easily let you do this) the front of the rear mezz is probably fine as compared to the rear of the front mezzz. Did I confuse you enough? When you get to the theater you'll see what I mean and here's the seating chart whcih may also get the point across newyorkcitytheatre.com/theaters/majesticthea… -- sitting in G101 of the front mezz is not much better than A101 of the rear mezz and when you get to the theater, if you enter a bit early, you can confirm for yourself whether it makes a difference.

I would like to know about Today TIX too, btw.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 13:35
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

You can also go to NYC & Co on the west side of 7th near 53rd & see if you can get a discount to take to the box office. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a ticket full price for Phantom unless I was extremely picky about my seats since discounts are so readily available for this show.

New York
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

I've sat in plenty of rear mezzanines, and plenty of last-row-of-the-mezzanines. I like theater and I don't have a lot of money, so I figure that I'd rather see the show from a distance than not at all. And honestly, it isn't bad - when I look back on shows I've seen, I sometimes have a hard time recalling which I saw from the rear mezz and which I saw from the orchestra.

Last night I sat in the balcony (which is a level above the mezzanine) at Twelfth Night, and it was still absolutely magical.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TodayTix, Rear Mezzanine, Phantom of the Opera, dinner time

What is a reasonable price then, with all the discounts available, to pay for this show? Broadwaybox gives me either 45 for rear mezz or 89 for front mezz and orchestra - is it reasonable or still, too expensive?