We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steakhouses

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Steakhouses

We are traveling to New York Dec 26-30. Looking for a nice steakhouse for our 1st evening. After reading reviews and checking out menus I have narrowed it down to Club A (because of the great tripadvisor reviews), Quality Meats, and Keens. I have crossed several off the list as I am trying to stay away from chain restaurants so BLT prime, Wollensky's and Mortons are not really options. Of my 3 choices anyone have recent experiences or opinions? We are staying at The New York Palace.

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steakhouses

There are few restaurants that exist only in TA land that no NY'er goes to and they include Club A and Basso56. Maybe they are good but it strange I don't anyone who goes there. I have not been to Quality. Keens is very good and I llike the Strip House in Greenwich Village and have not been to their midtown location.

The best steakhouse in NYC is generally considered Peter Luger in Brooklyn-great food, expensive and cash only

New York City
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steakhouses

I like the place in my 'hood - The Knickerbocker. And Peter Luger's

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steakhouses

Staying away from chain restaurants is a good idea. Except when it comes to steakhouses. Wolfgang's, BLT, and even Del Frisco's can potentially produce better quality meats than what's on your list. Even Peter Luger has another location

If steak quality is most important, Instead of going to a traditional steakhouse I would consider something like Minetta, Marea, Costata

Boston
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steakhouses

Del Frisco's and Peter Luger's are two I would suggest among others.

Dont let chain restaurants fool you, The Capital Grille in the Time Life Building is excellent.

The Capital Grille 120 W 51st Street New York .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steakhouses

Echoing the comments above, Club A is strictly for tourists. I agree with the "chain" comments above - while I wouldn't go to Morton's, Del Frisco's is great. But it's a more modern restaurant - although beautiful. If you want that stiff upper lip, steak and red wine experience - Keen's but also Sparks - a favorite of the mafia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steakhouses

I never dined at a steakhouse but i have friends who regulary dine at Quality Meats when in NYC.

The size of some of their steaks are huge!

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steakhouses

I never dined at a steakhouse but i have friends who regulary dine at Quality Meats when in NYC.

The size of some of their steaks are huge!

Are they any good? It is like the old joke, the restaurant stunk but at least the portions were big.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steakhouses

Ha! Aduchamp1 many times that would be the case re the joke but according to my friends they are good. Privey, but good.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 04:13
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Steakhouses

We went to Quality Meats on our second last visit (2008-9). We liked it so much we went back on that visit.

But four years later we DIDN'T go. Not sure why...assumed it was past its prime?

But we are returning this Christmas - New Year and I did ask Ziggy what he thought and he gave it the thumbs up. So it's on our list again.

The only thing I would say is that I would NOT have the seafood chowder as a starter before a steak for main...because it's really yummy and really big and then the steak comes out and you think 'oh ho'.

So that's our personal experience.

Oh I have had the steak at Minetta Tavern too...fabulous...I blame Ziggy.

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steakhouses

OK gang, here is a "steakhouse" you never see recommended-Tad's

For less than 9 bucks you get something that resembles a steak, potato of choice, garlic bread, and a side salad. What could be bad? Maybe everything but it is cheap and a pure NY experience.

A thousand years ago, when we were kids, the hockey team would go to see the Rangers play at the old Madison Square Garden and we would go to Tad's before the game. You would get the same meal served by the same old men for about 3 bucks. So sharpen your teeth and deaden you expectations and head for Tad's.