We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

Jerseyville...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

We will be flying into the EWR in the late evening and need to get to Affinia Manhattan.

What is the best way to get there for a family of 5?

We will be getting the unlimited subway pass for our visit if that makes a difference.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

I am hoping to get this advice as well. Isn't it wonderful to have help with our questions? Have a great trip!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

I'm sure an 'expert' will be along soon enough to help you but here's my tuppence worth: we got the airtrain from EWR to Newark train station - its all really well signposted, only a couple of stops and there were helpful staff at every stage offering directions and advice, without you even having to ask. You then get a train from there to Penn Station NYC - again staff will help you find your way if you are not sure) and your hotel is literally steps away from there. Different trains require different tickets but we were able to pay for the whole journey on a machine at the airport. It was much easier than anticipated and was the best advice we were given on this forum, before we travelled. Have a great time! :)

Edited: 02 November 2013, 13:13
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

The Affinia Manhattan is located directly opposite New York Penn Station - the train is definitely the way to go.

AirTrain Newark from right inside the terminal to the Newark Airport "Rail Transfer Station" where there are uniformed people available to answer any questions - NJ Transit right into NY Penn Station.

$12.50 per adult - discounts for children.

Hold on to your tickets as you'll need them aboard the NJ Transit train.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochur… :)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

If you wish you can buy your combined AirTrain/New Jersey Transit ticket after you get off the AirTrain at the Newark Airport Rail Station. There will be personnel at that location to help you if need be. I've always found this the most convenient thing to do although you can also buy your tickets before you get on the AirTrain.

When you get off the AirTrain monorail just take the elevator or escalator upstairs to the ticketing area. You buy your ticket, pass through the fare gates, and then take an elevator or escalator down to the New Jersey Transit train platform. As said by others, it's very well marked.

When you get to New York Penn Station just exit the station on the 7th Avenue side and your hotel is pretty much right there on 7th Avenue.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 14:04
Jerseyville...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

I assume that the tickets required for this are different than the 7 day subway offers? So we would buy these to get to the hotel and then purchase the 7 day passes in a different place.

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I've never done this before.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

Yip get the train. I go in December I will get the train it's so easy and fast.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

Hey blorsbac:-) Not a dumb question at all! Yes, it's separate.. the $12.50 gets you from EWR to NYC Penn Station via air train from your terminal to NJ transit platform for train to the City:-) The 7-day Metro card you purchase once IN the City for use on subways, buses;-) EnJOY!

9. Re: Best way to get from EWR to Affinia Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:15