We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,508 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

I'm hoping to take my daughter to a NY Pops concert at Carnegie Hall (Stern Auditorium) this April. (Assuming seats stay available until I get my time off approved...) I was hoping for some seating advice. She's a musician (flute and viola) so acoustics are most important and then views.

Currrently, there are a few Parquet seats available, but it looks like you can't really see the orchestra from there as the stage is up high unless you sit in the back, and those seats are mostly gone.

I'm thinking anything in the back of a box would be bad, as she's only about 5'1" and there's bound to be someone taller in front of her. Currently in the 1st Tier there are only 2 seats left in the back right of box 1 anyway, so I'm thinking those may be gone. Do people typically rotate seats at intermission? That's reportedly what they do at the Chicago Symphony, although we've never sat in box seats there.

2nd Tier only has side boxes, 2nd and 3rd rows that are all labelled obstructed view, which doesn't sound promising.

The dress circle center section only has 1 ticket left, but there are quite a few in the 2 sections moving to either side from the center (I don't see labels for the blocks of seats anywhere). These would be CC-EE ish with a few seat numbers in the high teens and quite a few in the high 30s on either side. Some say obstructed view, but looking at the view on the website, it looks like just a post which doesn't seem like much of an issue. I could (currently) get an obstructed view next to a non-obstructed view, so I could always give her the non-obstructed one.

There are still quite a few central balcony seats left from row B back. However, from the stage views of the website, it looks like the railing is fairly high. Would we be better farther back?

I'm currently leaning towards dress circle or balcony, but my daughter *really* wants to go to Carnegie Hall, so I would love input, especially on acoustics. I can have her look at the stage views on the website, but there's no way to tell where the acoustics would be best.

I should hopefully be able to buy tix next week, so I'm hoping availability will still be similar to this.

Thanks for any help!

Edited: 02 November 2013, 04:39
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,508 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

Just thought I'd bump this up in case anyone has any suggestions.

This forum is just way too active! After almost 24 hours it was down to page 7...

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

I have never heard of rotating seats at intermission. I volunteered to do it once, in several hundred theater visits. It's "the kindness of strangers." (Tennessee Williams)

This series sells well. Buy soon. We often sit on the Second Tier, and I don't care for the back row. But those seats are taller, like a barstool, and there are never more than two rows in front of you. For me, the problem is that your right, or left, ear is next to a wall. 2nd row box seats are superb, with unbelievable sound.

There is no Parquet vision problem beyond the eighth row. I can't comment on the sound. My mother and I sat in the Balcony through the 1960s Young Peoples Concerts and the sound and more distant view were memorable.

Bottom line-second row box of either tier.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

In general, the higher you go the better the acoustics (my seats for the local symphony are top of the balcony center.) However, for Pops, is there someone you want to see? If there is get the closest seats you can get. Also, for someone who is vertically challenged, it is better to sit on the aisle on the side opposite the center line of the theater so that they have an empty aisle to look out on (noone in front of them.)

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,508 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

Thanks. That helps. Daughter wants to be closer after looking at the stage views, so I'm leaning towards the parquet. She only looked briefly as she has school tomorrow so was on her way to bed, but she thought the balcony and dress circle looked far away and didn't like the fact that the boxes were all on the sides. Is the sound significantly better in the side tiers than the parquet? If not, I'll probably get the parquet. I guess the seats must be ok, as all the ones around them are sold out. I'm debating on buying tonight or waiting until tomorrow, but definitely want to buy by then. If anyone can tell me if we're sacrificing a lot of acoustics for the view, that would help. I'm not so much of a music person. I like listening to it and enjoy the symphony, but the finer points are really lost on me...

I do like the aisle seat thing. We've done that for the theatre, but there are none left for the concert.

5. Re: NY Pops Carnegie Hall Seating Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:18