We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

Hello,

I am visiting New York for the first time and will be showing a group of profesors from overseas the sights. I feel horribly unprepared, but will try to do my best!

We will be staying at The Roosevelt Hotel. We will take a cab to the MET because of time constraints but we would like to ride the subway back to the hotel. What line and stops do you recommend for a smooth trip?

I tried searching online but did not find anything I thought looked relevant.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
London
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

from the museum, walk over to 86th and Lexington and take the Downtown 4, 5 or 6 to Grand Central.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,913 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

Ted, both google maps and hopstop.com are good engines for subway/bus directions. On hopstop you can select bus or subway. On google you should get several options. On google maps, you just need to type the trip at the top

Roosevelt hotel nyc to Metropolitan Museum NYC

then select the train icon at the top left. The car icon gives you driving (ie taxi time) and the person icon gives you walking route and est. time. Frankly, depending on the day/time you're going, taxi may be no faster than the subway but the most direct route between the 2 is actually a bus. The problem is buses are slow. But in answer to your question, to get back to the hotel, the bus right down Fifth ave. (which stops almost in front of the museum) to 46 or 44 st. then walk over one block to Madison and up or down one block to 45 st.

http://goo.gl/maps/7tV1x

Taking the subway forces you to walk several avenues (over to Lexington) out of your way.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 11:33
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

Yep ....the bus down 5th....great way to sight see....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

Honestly, if you are willing to take a cab "because of time constraints" , then I would just use the bus. There are literally four bus routes (M1, M2, M3, and M4) that stop right in front of the Roosevelt and run north on Madison Ave to E 83rd St. Walk one block west and you are at the Met. For the return leg, catch any of those same four buses right in front of the Met and heading south on 5th Ave. Get off at E 46th St, walk one block east, and you are back at the hotel. You can ask the driver if you are not sure exactly where the stops are.

It will be a lot cheaper than a cab and shouldn't take much longer, since cabs and buses travel in the same traffic. Of course, if traffic is really bad, then it might actually be faster to walk!

The only reason to use a cab between these two locations is if you need door-to-door service (which it sounds like you don't, based on your desire to take the subway back).

-JimG

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

Thank you all for your advice. It has been very informative. The bus sounds perfectly reasonable.

Thank you again!

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

I don't think you mentioned when this trip is planned. If you are coming to NY anytime between Thanksgiving and New Year's, be aware that traffic on Fifth Avenue (and, to a lesser extent, Madison) can be very congested and the journey very frustrating in a taxi or on a bus. In that situation it may make more sense to walk (if you have the time) or to go over to Lexington Avenue and take the 4 or 5 train from Lexington & 86th to 42nd Street. There are also downtown buses on Lex and, up until 7 or so at night, there are "limited" buses that stop only at major cross streets (including both 86th & 79th, near the Met, and downtown at 49th and 42nd). The Lexington buses would also be affected by holiday congestion, but probably not as badly as the Fifth Av. buses.

7. Re: Which subway to The Roosevelt Hotel from the MET

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:16