We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental return, NYC January

2 posts
Save Topic
Car rental return, NYC January

We (husband and I) will be hiring a car outside Boston then travelling through MA & RI for a week. Our plan is to drive to NYC, arriving around 8pm on the evening of Monday 21 January 2014 (Martin Luther King Day). That day we will be driving from Rhode Island (after a stay with friends near Coventry).

We are booked in that evening at the Maritime in Chelsea, so I am hoping to be able to drop the car off at the Avis on West 31st Street and then catch a cab to the hotel.

I am hopeful that someone may know what time that office is open until as there is no public holiday hours posted on their website.

If possible, I would also love some information about traffic conditions in the NYC area around that time and date. Also we'd appreciate any suggestions regarding the best route from RI to NYC.

Thanking you in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

The regular hours at that location on Mon- Fri. are 6:30am - 8 pm. I have no reason to believe their hours for MLK will be different but you'd need to check that with them. If you can't get back before 8, there's a location at west 42 between 10th & 11th that stays open til 9 pm.

You give no indication of where you live, but Jan. driving in the northeast can be snowy, wet and slick. I assume you know that and are prepared for it. Frankly, my advice would be to get rid of the car at New Haven if you can and take the train back to Manhattan. Driving I 95 is one of my least favorite routes.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

Expect snowy and icy roads in January.

Avis has a location on East 43rd St. that is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year so you have a back-up plan if you get back late.

There is always traffic in NYC.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

Although i normally support suggestions to avoid driving in NYC, since there are very few theater events on Mondays, it's a holiday, and you'll be entering after rush hour. and you're going to Chelsea, I think you can feel free to drive into Manhattan. Just don't make any naive plans to "drive by" the 9/11 Memorial or something like that! I should add that lots of people go away for a three-day weekend, so traffic will not be "nonexistent".

I'm concerned that you didn't use the Avis website yourself to punch up the Manhattan locations and read the hours. This newsboard is not a good place to answer a highly technical question about business hours at a single location on a national holiday. I would get the phone number from the Avis website and call the location if I were you.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,765 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

Assuming you'll be returning the car in Manhattan (and I see no reason not to unless the roads are bad) you should plan to go to your hotel first and drop off your luggage and the rest of your party. Then drive to the car rental return location. You'll find this easier than trying to move all your baggage from the rental car to a taxi and then having to unload it again at the hotel.

Since you'll only be 15-20 miles from Providence your best bet may be to just return your rental car near the Providence Amtrak station and take the train to New York. This would be particularly advantageous if there's snowy weather.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 13:59
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

Thank you all for your honest and insightful responses to my query. I have taken your feedback on board and after lengthy discussion and further research, we have decided to drop the car off at Providence. I plan to call the office directly to find out their opening hours.

We are both Australian, however I have spent time living in Alberta, Canada and have driven the snowy icy roads there extensively. To be honest, our initial plan to drive to NYC was based primarily on cost (turns out it's cheaper to return the car to NYC), as well as the desire to have the experience (albeit briefly) of driving in NYC. However, safety always wins out and I feel that the decision will take away an unnecessary stressor.

Again, many thanks.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,527 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

I think dropping off the car before you come into the city is probably a good idea. Even if you have bad weather driving experience, a lot of the other people on the road won't .

I am assuming you are now planning to take Amtrak into the city. www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train

Be aware Amtrak fares go up the closer you purchase to your travel dates.

Another option you might cost out is dropping the car in New Haven and taking the Metro North (a separate commuter railroad) map here: http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

If you are going to return the car in Providence, then make your Amtrack reservations immediately! As mentioned they go up the closer you get to the departure date, but it isn't one jump, it is more of a constant upward climb.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

Amtrak is definitely the way to go.

Smart move returning the car in Providence. You'll be much happier with this.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

Good call. Penn Station, where Amtrak trains stop, is not far from the Maritime. Exit the station on 7th ave and grab a taxi.

10. Re: Car rental return, NYC January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:17