We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

johannesburg,south...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

hello there! we arrive in nyc this week and would like to know what is an affordable efficient way to transfer from JFK airport to our hotel; incl which subway/train stop to exit at close to our hotel as we have 2 bags to lug with us. thanks in advance :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

Have a look at the top questions on the right hand side of the forum. It will answer this question as well as your question about SNL.

An excellent resource for how to get places is also the 'get directions' function on Google Maps. Put the airport into A and your hotel into B and select the bus icon. You can then put in the day and time you are leaving.

johannesburg,south...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
325 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

I will be staying in the same hotel in January and have been looking into this, you can get the AirTrain to Jamaica station then the E subway line to about a block or two away from the Milford for cheap. I will be there for three days with my family and doing a lot of travelling as we tour, so we're getting the seven day metro passes once we get off the air train [from what I can tell the Airtrain is about $3 each]. Think it takes about an hour and a half, but even with the unlimited metro passes for roughly $30 each it seems a lot more worth it than the expense of the shuttle buses from JFK or a taxi

Like the previous poster said, if you put it into Google Maps and hit public transport it shows this route and it looks very very simple from what I can tell

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

its $5 for the airtrain

definitely avoid the shared van rides

johannesburg,south...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

Thanks so much! This has made up my mind; airtrain here we come!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
325 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

Would definitely agree. Was in NY before and found them still very expensive and just..well...bad in my opinion. Hence the reason we're opting for the Airtrain and subway this time

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

If you take the E train to 42nd Street exit toward the rear of the train. There's a passageway that will take you to an exit at 44th Street & 8th Avenue, right at the corner of the Milford Plaza.

johannesburg,south...
Level Contributor
116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

Great tip! Thanks!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

It isn't crucial, but if you exit the subway on the east side of 8th Avenue you'll be on the same side as the hotel.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jfk to milford plaza hotel,times sq

It takes less than an hour and a half. It should take just under an hour.

Shuttles are terrible (and they're dangerous)

JFK AirTrain to Jamaica and the E train to 42nd Street is definitely the way to go.

Fare control for the JFK AirTrain is handled at Jamaica. There are uniformed people there to help you. Don't worry.

The JFK AirTrain is very well-marked. There are audible announcements and digital displays telling you whether it is a Jamaica train (which is what you want) or a Howard Beach train (which you don't want).

Don't stress if you get on a Howard Beach train as it too connects with a subway to 42nd St. / 8th Avenue (it just takes a little longer).

This is all very well-marked / safe / user-friendly

At Jamaica, after paying the $5.00 fare to exit, follow the signs to the E train (big blue symbol for the E train). Here's a tip for paying your $5.00 JFK AirTrain exit fare - up to four people can share one MetroCard so no need to pay $1.00 fee for the card more than once. Also note, purchasing the $5.00 MetroCard from the nearby newsstand saves the fee. Newsstands don't charge the $1.00 fee. Please don't ask me why as this mystery is still beyond me. Why you pay a fee to purchase directly and why you don't pay a fee when purchasing from a third party ... mystery to me.

You'll be boarding a Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center and exiting toward the back of the train at 42nd Street / 8th Avenue - very well-marked.