We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday to New York

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday to New York

Hi, we are an Irish family travelling to New York from March 10-17. We have 4 children aged 9, 12, 14 and 16. My husband will be marching in the St Patricks Day Parade on March 15 th. This is a once in a life time holiday for us, flights and accommodation booked ( Bed Stu) and now the research about where to go and what to do starts. Both my husband and I have been to New York before and visited the main attractions but look forward to sharing it with the children. As there are 6 of us we have to mind our budget so planning is key. A few questions:

We are a sporty family so would love to go to a game ( any type of sport) I checked out MSG and the ticket prices are expensive, I think it will cost us $500 at least. Any suggestions?

Tickets for a show also seem to be the same price range, I have read about TKTS but what is the average price when you buy here?

I have read up about the New York Pass it looks good, but for 6 including hop on/ off bus it is about $1100, again is there a better option.

Have looked at some of the group on/ living social deals but that seems to be random.

Plan to go to Jersey gardens as it has all the shops they like under one roof.

Bottom line is I know with my 4 children the legs will get tired and they won't be hugely interested in museums but the tenement, intrepid and national history look good, so its trying to plan the best week for us all.

We haven't told the children yet, will leave as a Xmas surprise, I will then get them to do their own research and identify their own "must sees"

I appreciate any comment.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday to New York

Wow..what a great Christmas surprise.

Glad you have the Tenement Museum on your list - one of NYC's highlights IMO. I think the AMNH and the Intrepid are also great ideas for a group with tweens and teens.

Start with an idea of what you and your family would like to see:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

(or a guide book!).

A 24 or 48 hour Hop-on Hop off bus ticket (a variety of 'loops') will be good for a first trip (tho' iit might stil be COLD for that!).

Get 7 day MTA passes for getting around - one each - they cost $31 and the 'break even' point is 13 trips which you will do during your time there even if you're not staying the full 7 days. Or contemplate 2 or 3 sharable MTA tickets.

Here's the link to the options: http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

See the Frequently Asked Questions over on the right side of the Forum page..(tho' not viewable on a Smart phone)

Once you make a list of things you'd like to see, then compare the prices (many sights in NYC are free) with the cost and time restrictions of the various passes to decide if a Pass is worth it.

Consider a tour (or two!) Try for a Big Apple Greeter.....

I am suggesting you do some research first to come back with some ideas to find out if what you're thinking is sensible, logical and especially DO-ABLE!!

I'd be careful about over planning times and even days as the you want some flexibility to cater for the weather (and being in a biggish group).

Have a great holiday- and enjoy the planning.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 11:11
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday to New York

You booked an apartment, I assume? Are you aware of the legality issues? I'm happy to look up the address for you to reassure you (or warn you) about issues.

I'd focus more on all of the free things available in New York than the expensive stuff. You won't get your money's worth from the passes, skip them. Look at discounted theater tickets on the LEFT HAND SIDE of www.broadwaybox.com. Check out sporting events at the Barclay's Center also.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday to New York

Oh, and it's NATURAL History, not national.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday to New York

If you booked an apartment, please know that the majority of vacation rentals for less than 30 days are illegal in NYC. Some are scams. Bed-Stuy is a hike to Manhattan and can be a not so safe location. You NEED to rethink your lodging ASAP.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday to New York

Why an apt. is not a good idea.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Here's an older post on the area you chose. Note that person was looking for a one month rental which is altogether different than a holiday rental.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4839665…

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday to New York

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, will do more research and post again nearer the departure date for advice on how doable the plan is.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday to New York

Oatfield seems to be ignoring that the apartment rental might be illegal and not in a safe area.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday to New York

I certainly have not ignored that advice.

The apt rental is above board and not illegal as it is owner occupied. The street is safe and I have checked this out.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday to New York

Re TKTS. This is not your only option. NYC & Co is on the west side of 7th near 53rd. Just go in there & they will give you discounts that you can take to the box office. Discounts range from 25% to 50% depending on the show. It also depends on where you sit as to what you will pay.

10. Re: Family holiday to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:19