We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Well we landed at newark at 11.50am,about 35 minutes earlier than expected. Hardly any queues for immigration etc. We did get the air train on the wrong side which added about 10 mins to the journey into manhattan! Arrived at the Metro Hotel at 2pm and was able to check in straight away! unpacked and had a coffee and a light bite in Pax Foods I think on 6th Ave. We then went to Macys and I bought a new handbag for work. Dsw was next and bought some converses. Feeling pretty tired we came back to hotel for some free coffee and a shower to freshen up and change. Had dinner next door at Hyo Dong Gak (think it's called that) ordered noodles with seafood and only ate half! massive portions! Had a stroll around the area to walk off the noodles. Found a liquor store and bought some bubbly to take to dinner tomorrow for my birthday meal. We were going to check out Times Square but absolutely shattered and in bed already! We've been u

p since 2.30am UK time so nearly 24 hours! Have decided that times Square will wait until Wednesday night after the theatre! Have to keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming! Still can't believe I'm here!

West Yorks
Level Contributor
922 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Just curious - "bought some bubbly to take to dinner tomorrow "

Do restaurants let you do that?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Yes there appear to be quite a few byob places. We are going to La Sirene this evening which is one of them. Wine is really expensive!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

@Pennylets & MissTanyaB: You can bring your own wine, but you will be charged a fee, called "corkage". Very seldom, you will find a restaurant that will waive this fee if you buy one bottle from their list. But that's the exception to the rule. I suggest calling ahead and finding out what the corkage fee is. In nicer places, it can be very high, and when you add the cost you paid for the bottle at a liquor store, it might not be worth it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

In my experience, in addition to paying corkage, you also need to make sure the bottle you're bringing is not on the restaurant's wine list.

Happy Birthday, Tanya!!

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Are the bring your own places not unlicenced restaurants? Most BYOBs here in the UK are restaurants without an alcohol licence, it's ok to bring your own but they're not allowed to sell it.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

I'll let you know about the corkage fee later but reviews on yelp all say there's no corkage fee.....

Edited: 05 November 2013, 23:37
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

The La Sirene website does say no corkage, but it's actually no corkage on one bottle for two people.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,758 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Good start and welcome to NYC.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

We only took one bottle so no corkage. Amazing food!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hello NYC! trip report day 1

Loved reading the start of your NYC adventure. Glad it's living up to your expectations and that you continue to have a great time.