We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

Hi finally our trip is here, almost.

day1/arrival -

will arrive into NYC staying near bryant park - approx 7:30 PM

will walk around times square - anything special going on fri nights appropriate for 18yr old??

day 2/full day - Saturday

possible hop on/off bus (have groupon/big taxi tours)

reservation for 9/11 memorial (4:30pm)

FYI things we need to add in to "whenever" - greenwich village, maybe pizza tour, american history museum, central park, one of the "market" places that have food/produce, walk across brooklyn bridge,

???

Day 3/full day - Sunday

brunch at Marriott the revolving restaurant

Lion King 6:30pm (what time do you usually arrive?)

(again insert some of the above? walking = good after brunch!!)

Day 4/full day Monday

open to insert options

are Museums better on Monday? less crowded ie american history?

Day 5/Tuesday leave mid AM

any good breakfast spots near times square/bryant park??

thanks - again we have two basically "open" days - I need to figure out what is best on what day ie Sat vs Monday.

thanks for the input -

again have 18yr old girl with me

NO shopping unless its retro/vintage/flea markets

THANK you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

What does are your daughter's interests? That would help people offer meaningful suggestions.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

Theaters generally open their doors 1/2 hour before the stated curtain time.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

The Empire State Building is open late and might also be fun for your first night.

Some museums are closed on Mondays.

Sunday consider the Brooklyn Flea instead. http://www.brooklynflea.com/ for vintage shopping and look beyond Manhattan, as Williamsburg is a neighborhood that might appeal to your daughter.

NY
Level Contributor
743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

I took 16 year olds to Williamsburg Brooklyn this weekend.... (Hipster skinny jean capital of the world ;)) and they LOVED it. And the view across river of Manhattan was spectacular.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

Regarding the museums and whether they are quieter on Mondays...it depends on when your trip is exactly. If you'll be here next Monday 11/11, it's a holiday and schools are closed. Museums - especially AMNH - may be crowded, especially if the weather is bad. Monday 11/18 will probably be relatively quiet. From Monday 11/25 though the New Year, the critical mass of holiday tourists will make everything crowded every day.

My recent experiences: MoMA at lunchtime on Wednesday 10/23 was amazingly crowded - there were admission queues all the way down the block. The Met the afternoon of Monday 10/28 was quiet and AMNH the afternoon of Wednesday 10/30 was super quiet.

Have fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

Lots of advice on your earlier post in sept....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6859762…

Including details of pizza tour, markets, neighbourhoods and other ideas you have listed here.....

have a great weekend.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

we are leaving this friday - so its next monday - forgot about the holiday - museum IS open.

can you tell me about the brooklyn flea? can you do public transport and walk across the bridge?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

Since you are by the Library do stop in on Saturday. It will be closed on Monday

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

I went back and looked at the "other" post - at that point I really didnt have any reservations as I currently do.

I just have to say the hardest thing as someone who lives in the suburbs and is used to just hopping in a car to do whatever, I have a really hard thing with times. Its not like here where I just key in my location on google maps and drive there.

As an example if I was HERE and had the areas of greenwich village, brooklyn flea market and american history museum, just in miles on google and driving is about 50 minutes, I cant even figure how that translates into subway/walking time.

its like if you stayed in San Diego and said I want to just drive to hollywood, I would say BAD IDEA.

so if that clarified, thanks - my daughter is into green/environmental stuff, fun/different foods, hipster interesting things (of course hipster today, is gone tomorrow right?)

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Input on tentative itinerary upcoming weekend for 3 days

This link ..on your other post...has all the info you need for the Flea Market..various locations

How you get there will also depend on what you're doing beforehand.

Whether the bridge is feasible depends on which location you visit.

http://www.brooklynflea.com

Google maps is also great for planning your routes using public transport and walking...usual way of getting around.

On this post you've got some things booked...but 2 'open days' and a list of great things....I hope you find google maps helpful to make this into an itinerary.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 18:27