We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Times Square on New Year's Eve

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Times Square on New Year's Eve

We are staying in a hotel that's just about 10 minutes walk to the Times Square, was wondering if anyone knows how crowded this area might be on that day as we would like to get there just before midnight to see the ball drop. Is it better then to just stay in a hotel right by the square so we can at least go to our rooms if the crowd surge is too much? Is it like going to be chaotic to stand in the crowd for the new year ball drop?

To be more specific I will be staying at the Residence Inn by Marriott on 1033 Avenue of the Americas close to W 39th street.. Any help on getting to the TS for the new year ball drop will be appreciated.

Thanks you all for your help

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

The way to see the ball drop is this: you show up at noon. You stand in a pen until midnight, when the ball drops and you go home. No bags, no alcohol, no bathroom breaks. If you leave your spot for any reason, you don't get it back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,880 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

You can't just show up to do this. People will have begun getting into the pens about 10 hours earlier; once in a pen, you stay there (no bathroom breaks, no leaving) - if you leave, you lose your spot. The police have complete total control over the entire event/area and streets will be closed off and pens will be closed off as they get full, etc. Getting a room around there where you would see anything would cost thousands of dollars; restaurants that usually are able to let customers out to see the ball drop begin around $300 plus dollars.

Most of those are probably booked by now.

Read all about it:

timessquarenyc.org/events/….UnkySqXhCFI

Read the Frequently Asked Questions on that website to see what misery awaits anyone doing this thing.

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

Thanks folks. Great advice

Florida
Level Contributor
645 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

Crowne Plaza Times Square has rooms available. A Times Square view is $844 per night

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

Times Square is crowded at the best of times year round. As for NYE, it gets even worse - hence the pens and the whole once you are in, you are in and cannot leave without losing your spot. This is why you cannot just pop in and watch the ball drop.

Many streets around Times Square close down in afternoon on NYE, so you should speak to your hotel to see if you will be affected. It is often said if you are going out that day to keep something on you that evidences that you are staying at the hotel if it is on a street affected by closures.

If you are looking for alternate ideas to the ball drop, have a look at this link

tripadvisor.com.au/…53857672

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

Approximately 1 million people may gather in TS for the ball drop......

So, figure it out - and heed the good advice given on this thread - for more info use the search box on this FORUM......it is eye-opening!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

"Crowne Plaza Times Square has rooms available. A Times Square view is $844 per night"

Not that I was planning on going, but this made me curious. I am seeing a minimum of $967 for that hotel on NYE and "TS view" rooms start at $1067.

As ludicrous to me as it would be to spend that much on a room that goes for 20-30% of that the rest of the year, it would almost be worth it to a diehard that wants to see the ball drop live but doesn't want the discomfort of being in the pens.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,334 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

There's likely a three night minimum on the rooms with a view.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

snap it up, BB. You know you want to ;-)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,334 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Times Square on New Year's Eve

I've already got plans, but thanks for the thought. Besides, my husband would divorce me if I suggested I wanted to be anywhere near Times Square on NYE. :)