We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in NYC

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
First Time in NYC

Hi,

I am planning a trip to visit NYC with my sister in April 2014 from Singapore and considering a 11 days trip (ecluding spening time on the airline)

I plan to stay 6 days in NYC to visit the Time Square, Statue of Liberty, 911 Memorial, Empire State Builing, Central Park, Niagara Fall, Brooklyn Bridge, Washington D.C. But my question is it too short?

For the other 4 days I'm plan to visit Orlando for Disney Land and Universal Studio. I'm not sure if this will be sufficient?

Appreciate if anyone could provide some advice on the itinearay and since i'm in NYC should I visit 1 state (e.g. orlando) or should i just spend the 11 days in NYC.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in NYC

How you divide up your time, or whether you do, depends on you.

Niagara Falls and Washington are NOT NYC...they are about 9 hours and 4 hours away respectively. That's like thinking Hong Kong is in Beijing....

6 days in NYC will be good (but not if you're planning to go to Niagara Falls and Washington DC as well).

I would do 11 days just in NYC ...but many wouldn't.

Maybe look at a map of the USA and think again about how you could divide up the 11 days between the 4 places. I think that's too many things.

Where are you flying into in the USA and where are you flying out of?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,647 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in NYC

>>>>Appreciate if anyone could provide some advice on the itinearay and since i'm in NYC should I visit 1 state (e.g. orlando) or should i just spend the 11 days in NYC.<<<<

I would spend the entire 6-7 days in NYC alone, then you could opt for the flight to Florida for a few days or spend the 2-3 days in Washington DC. You can make a day trip to Niagara Falls but its a long day trip.

Good luck with your trip planning and research and hope you enjoy the Big Apple.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in NYC

I appreciate that you're probably trying to see as much of the USA as possible since I assume this is a special trip.

For our honeymoon two years ago, we spent 3 days in NYC, 3 days in DC and 3 days in San Francisco. SO, it's certainly do-able to squeeze a lot of traveling and geographically, a lot of America, into a 10-11 day trip. We enjoyed our snapshot of America, but really it was just a snap-shot. We actually did everything we wanted to do in DC in 3 days and probably wouldn't return, but as you want a day trip I'd suggest you'd only get the basics done. I wouldn't make the 10 hour journey to Niagara Falls but that's personal preference and i think that would be best suited with a night stop over. Orlando would be fine in 4 days. NYC would also be fine in 5 days.

It's up to you, expect to be very tired though with all the traveling. Personally I think America is pretty fun to cram in as much as possible in a short space of time. Obviously you can see more if you're there longer but this sort of time frame gives you enough opportunity to see the basics and plan for future trips based on what you enjoyed most.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 11:10
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in NYC

It really depends on how you want to travel - you can either see a tiny bit of a lot of things or see one or two places more extensively.

I personally think that its a waste of money to travel that far and only spend a few days in each place. It would leave me feeling ripped off that I didn't get to see more but for other people, that's the best sort of holiday, see a couple of things and then move on to the next place.

If you are still undecided, spend some time on something such as Google Maps seeing how much time you will actually spend traveling within the USA and at the things you want to do in each place and then decide.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in NYC

Six days would likely be too short for such an ambitious itinerary. New York City is at the south east corner of the state, and Niagara Falls is as west as you can go. I would skip it as it would really be a long haul. There are more than enough things in NYC to keep you occupied for six days.

If it were me, I would spend the rest of the days divided by Washington DC and Orlando. 4 days in Orlando would just be too long.

6. Re: First Time in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:18