We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to New York :)

Loxton, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to New York :)

We are heading to New York 22nd of November - 27th November. My self and my 17 year old daughter first time visitors. I am trying to work out an itinerary any assistance would be great. I want to start pre booking some of the site's and I'm not sure on timing things. Also if you feel we are missing any must see's please let me know.

This is roughly what we have so far:

Day 1 Friday, Arrive LaGuardia Airport 9.30am - Car service

11am arrive Hotel W 56th st

FAO Schwarz

Dylan's candy store and Serendipity (daughter keen on these places)

Grand central terminal

Times square

Top of the rock before returning to hotel.

Here I would like tips on where to eat ect for dinner around times square.

Day 2 Saturday

Highline

Washington square park

Little Italy

Soho

Evening Stomp....need to book.

Day 3 Sunday

9/11 memorial and statue of liberty/Ellis Island......Need to book unsure on time it takes. Was thinking to book the 9am or 10am with Statue Cruises. What time should I try and book for 9/11?

Brooklyn bridge

Dumbo

Day 4 Monday

Momo

Empire state building

Day 5 Tuesday

5th Ave Christmas display (been told that many shops will have their windows all done.)

The Met

Central Park/Ice skating

Day 6 Wednesday Leave JFK at 3.30pm

As you can see we are in the early stages...Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to New York :)

On Day 1, I would do the TOTR and then Times Square. You need to do the TOTR before it gets dark so that you can see Central Park. A frequent suggestion is to go up just before dusk so you can see the city in the daytime, as the sun goes down and then at night time.

You will also want to see Times Square all lit up in its "retina burning glory" as it is often described! The shops all stay open very late - at least 10pm, so you don't need to worry about things closing whilst you are eating.

Day 4 - Do you mean MOMA?

Day 5 - Have a look at this great link for all the holiday windows, markets and places to ice skate:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6928…

For restaurant recommendations it’s a good idea to give a budget estimate and advise if there are any foods that you are after or cannot eat.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to New York :)

The Met is huge. MOMA is relatively small. I'd switch it so that you do MOMA on a day when you have other activities planned, and the Met when you have fewer things planned.

Sorry, I'm being beckoned that it's bed time (and he's right). I might have more comments tomorrow :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to New York :)

<<Day 3 Sunday - 9/11 memorial and statue of liberty/Ellis Island......Need to book unsure on time it takes. Was thinking to book the 9am or 10am with Statue Cruises. What time should I try and book for 9/11?>>

That depends on what type of ticket you get for the Statue. There are 3 sorts (Island, Pedestal with Museum, Crown - includes Museum). There is also a really interesting audio.

Here's the morning ferry times to help you decide:

Depart Battery Park Depart Liberty Depart Ellis Arrive Battery Park

9:30 AM 9:55 AM 10:12 AM 10:22 AM

9:55 AM 10:23 AM 10:40 AM 10:50 AM

10:20 AM 10:48 AM 11:05 AM 11:15 AM

10:45 AM 11:13 AM 11:30 AM 11:40 AM

(Sorry about the layout - the Forum needs a WYSIWYG option for formatting text!)

http://www.statuecruises.com/schedule.aspx

I don't think I'd be back till after 11.00 at the earliest...(And probably the 11.40 time really)

So, if you're just going to the Island and then to Ellis Island I wouldn't go to the 9/11 Memorial before 1pm. I'd give an hour on Liberty Island to do the audio tour (Add more for the Pedestal option with the Museum and more again for the Crown).

I would imagine 1 hour at Ellis Island given the top level still isn't open. You might need to wait for a ferry between the two islands and then back to Manhattan.

And you will need lunch.

If you get back way earlier you can do many things in that area before your passes to the 9/11 Memorial. St Paul's Chapel; Trinity Church; the Museum of the American Indian; the Irish Hunger Memorial; the African Burial Ground are a few things I visited on the day I was in that area. You could also just walk slowly back along the Hudson River walkway to see the views.

The Downtown Alliance Map is great (available from tourist kiosks). I really like the hardcopy version but find the website confusing.

Have a great time.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to New York :)

Your itinerary looks fine. But remember that you are the boss of it, and not the other way around. NYC offers great spontaneous adventures, that could be missed by rigidly adhering to a structured schedule. So, keep your itinerary, but if something cool pops out at you - go for it.

Loxton, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to New York :)

Yes sorry, I did mean MOMA.

Thank you for your advice, will look at switching the days for the museums.

Thank you JennyR261 that is exactly what I was looking for, I was looking to book the tickets today and then had no idea how long should be given to each. I should have posted that we may only have pedestal access.

6. Re: First trip to New York :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16