We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Been there, done that

LowerMainland,
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Been there, done that

Saturday will be our last day in this fantastic city. Ran the marathon and have been here a week so have seen many of the fab sights. Thinking about the above surface trains......an out and back type excursion to......i don't know where but i do know i am flipping tired and would welcome some bench time with a lovely country view. What say you?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Been there, done that

Take Metro-North Hudson line for fall river views.....check their website www.mta.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Been there, done that

Agreed - even without a destination, the views from Metro North are lovely. Even more so at this time of year with the fall colors. Sit on the left side of the train leaving NYC. Maybe head to Cold Speing or Tarrytown for a nice lunch.

LowerMainland,
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Been there, done that

Sounds perfect. How long a trip up?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Been there, done that

Cold Spring is wonderful - click on the link for directions, maps & train schedules:

http://www.coldspringliving.com

It's only 50 miles from NYC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,017 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Been there, done that

The walkway at Poughkeepsie is great. Before that we stopped at Beacon to see the contemporary art at the Dia Museum there.

This is the walk that a local suggested...I call it 'Mark's Walk':

"Catch the metro north train to Irvington or Sleepy Hollow, about 45mins, and walk back south to Dobbs Ferry via the "old Croton Aqueduct trail", a public pathway built on the route of NYC's first means of water supply. The trail traverses through some of the most notable and historic estates, close to NYC, in Westchester county. We would do this 2 mile section, (enough for an 8yr old!), during each season and saw some spectacular changes in foliage as well as fauna such as deer. "

Get to Grand Central Terminal a bit earlier to make sure you sit on the LEFT of the train (I know Kate has already said that....I just want to reiterate it)

Have a great time.

6. Re: Been there, done that

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16