We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in JFK

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Transit in JFK

Hi everybody

I arrive at JFK terminal 4 at 16:30 in mid-December. My next flight is from Terminal 5 at 08.29 the following day.

I intend to have a shower in the Wingtips Lounge in Terminal 4 then I am not sure what I should do with the remaing tiime . Is there any sort if tour that leaves from the airport , should I take a taxi into the city for a meal or just stay in the airport? I have hand luggage only.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in JFK

Do you intend to stay up all night? If not you might want to get a hotel. Although there are airport hotels at JFK there's nothing much to do around them. You might find it a better experience to stay in a Long Island City hotel.

If you did that you could check in, spend the evening in Manhattan, and then return to the airport the next morning.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit in JFK

Technically you are not "in-transit" All arriving passengers go directly to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It is not like Heathrow where you exit into the transit area. Everybody clears US Immigration and Customs Enforcement even if they're connecting from Mexico City to Toronto or from Buenos Aires to London Heathrow. You immediately go into the queue for Customs.

The Wingtips Lounge at Terminal 4 is beyond Security and you will not be allowed beyond Security because you do not have a ticket for a departure from Terminal 4. A jetBlue ticket for a flight from Terminal 5 the next day will not get you access to Terminal 4 the day prior - so no access to the Wingtips lounge for you unfortunately. Sorry.

Now, I don't know what jetBlue's policy is on people camping out in their terminal overnight. They may close up between 1:00AM and 4:30AM, I don't know.

I suggest you jump on the JFK AirTrain and connect to the Long Island Rail Road. It is less than 45 minutes from the terminal there to Penn Station in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. Unlike many major cities, the area around Penn Station (the large railway station - all underground) is quite pleasant. There are several excellent hotels within spitting distance of the exits from Penn Station. The Affinia Manhattan, the Fairfield Inn by Marriott (particularly nice and often reasonably priced), and the New Yorker Hotel.

With boarding pass printed and no luggage to check, you'd get a train around 6:30AM and be back to join the queue for security at Terminal 5 around 7:15AM for an 8:29AM flight.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit in JFK

Thanks for the advice and a special thanks to MoreFFmiles for the info on transit.

4. Re: Transit in JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:17