We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

Tavistock, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

I'm wanting to see the Dyker Heights Christmas lights when I visit in December. I'm staying at the NU hotel in Brooklyn for the first 3 days, so thought it would be best to take a tour from Brooklyn: but the tours I've looked at all start in Union Square - it seems counter-intuitive to go into Manhattan to go back to Brooklyn. Does anyone know if there's a Brooklyn-based tour? Or is it practical to go without a tour by taking public transport and walking around? Or is there a public bus route that goes past?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

You can go by public transit, but it involves a decent amount of walking and it can be very cold at night.

…about.com/od/Xmas-Hanukah-Kwanzaa-New-Year/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

We visited the Dyker Heights lights area by ourselves. We went from Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn...it was easy...I used the wonderful Public Transport website to map the route. The F then the D trains ring bells but I cannot be sure...look at the map.

We walked from the subway station to the lights...it wasn't as far as I was expecting. I understand there is a bus from the station if you don't think you can get to get to the lights by foot.

It's pretty amazing....though Kate is right, it's very cold (why we didn't wait around for the bus!!!).

Have fun.

Tavistock, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

Thanks for the advice ... maybe a dumb (but connected) question: how cold is cold? I'm anticipating cold weather, but are we talking really really freezing or just cold-but-wrap-up-warm-with hat, gloves, scarf, thermals-and-you'll-be-okay cold?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,068 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

I am not a fan of the thermals...you'll BOIL on the subway....0 is cold.....it's likely to be 0.... Celsius that is ...not sure where you're from..if the USA the 32 F.....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c104021/New-Yo…

See note on coat....big point.....

also when outside a lot during the day sightseeing I wear two pairs of woollen gloves..one pair is fingerless...I put them on first, then the other pair ...with fingers......when I need to read a map, look at app etc...I take off second pair and voila,...my hands don't freeze....

Edited: 12 November 2013, 09:47
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

It all be cold..but who knows if it will be brutal or just 'cold."

It's also pretty easy to do on your own and to get to from the Nu Hotel..(see above link).

6. Re: Dyker Heights tour starting in Brooklyn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:20