We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Leeds, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if there were any rules or laws regarding taking photos in New York? I was thinking more of indoor locations such as shops (of christmas displays or windows), and inside restaurants and bars?

I'd hate to start taking pictures and get a telling off, so I thought I'd check :-)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

A lot of us find it a bit annoying to have someone constantly taking pictures of every dish on the table, but there's certainly no law against it. (Although a few higher-end restaurants discourage the practice).

Stores are free to put up signs prohibiting photography (Even my local Burger King has a sign, I just noticed it yesterday!) but otherwise click away...

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Just be aware that most people don't want photos taken of their children.

Leeds, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Thank you for your replies -

I think the photos that I would be taking in restaurants would just be of me or my fiancé instead of our food - and I would definitely try to keep other people out of the picture where possible as I'd hate to annoy anyone.

I'll keep my eyes out for signs that prohibit photos, and maybe see if other people around me are taking them too as a bit of a guide.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Lucybabe, don't forget to enjoy the moment.

Memories can be stronger than photos.

Leeds, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Ah that is very true :-) but I'm hoping that some photos will jog my memory of the holiday when I'm old and grey!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

Inside some stores they will not be happy about it as they may think you are doing research for a competitor. Being on the street is different.

http://everydayaperture.com/law/

…nytimes.com/2012/…

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

I had an experience at a grocery store.... the Trader Joe's on the Upper West Side is decorated so differently from my one at home that I wanted to take some photos... I practically had the phone snatched out of my hand by a security guard... I found that quite odd.....

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,647 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

You can take pictures of dishes in just about any place. The issue is not with that but with using flash. Even if the establishment allows the use of flash it may annoy other people

Inside small mom/pop stores I would ask for permission

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

If you are in a store you are on private property.

Leeds, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking Photos in New York... Laws / Rules?

@Kaye_in_Astoria - Those links are great thank you! So informative!

@GinnyM M - That is awful, I wouldn't have expected a reaction like that.. Did you get removed from the store at all, and was your phone ok?