We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay at the door or is there a pass ?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Pay at the door or is there a pass ?

My and the Wife are going to Manhatton a week Wednesday for 2 nights ( 3 days ) ! It's a spur of the moment trip and we will more likely be going back in the future if we enjoy it ! We are staying opposite Penn Station and I'd rather just walk around rather than do the hop on hop off bus tour ( this time ) ! All I want to do is visit Ground Zero to see the memorial and the Muesuem and do the "Top Of the Rock" ( I've been told it's better than the Empire State Obs deck ? ) I've been told a walk over Brooklyn bridge is a must do also ????? My wife wants to SHOP :-( and she wants to ice skate either in Rockafella or Central Park ( any preference , me and the wife are terrible ice skaters lol ) I've looked at New York City pass and it includes more than what I want ! So my question is for the top of the Rock , Ice Skating in Rockafella or Central Park and a visit to Ground Zero is it best to just pay on the door or is there a pass that covers this ?

Any must dos you think I'm missing out ? I was just going to see the other sites by just walking around ?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay at the door or is there a pass ?

There is no pass, just pay as you go. A pass ends up driving your choices, instead of your interests driving your choices. Also, if you have done the hoho buses there is no need to do it again. They are terrible transportation. BTW it is Rockefeller not, Rockfella

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay at the door or is there a pass ?

You can skate FREE at the rink in Bryant Park - you will need to rent skates. If you aren't very good - all you lose is the rental price.

Just another point of information; it is the 9/11 Memorial Site - GZ is a designation eschewed by many natives and those involved/affected by the event.

You will need to purchase tickets in advance for the 9/11 M.S.

Have you looked into a Metro Card for subway and bus transport - www.mta.com

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay at the door or is there a pass ?

Forget about passes. Top of the Rock IS better. You need tickets for the 9/11 memorial

911memorial.org

Walking from Brooklyn back to Manhattan affords great views of the skyline...but if you don't feel like walking or it's cold and windy, the views from the Brooklyn Promenade and/ or the Brooklyn Bridge Park are great. You can also get great views from taking a ride on the

Nywatertaxi.com

Central Park skating is prettier and the ice rink is much bigger than the other venues. The worst option imo, is the Rock Ctr. Rink which is small with long waits.

Tell your wife to register at customer service at the dept atores like Macy's , Lord & Taylor and Bloomingdales to get 10% discount for out of town visitors. Lord & Taylor is a much nicer, smaller store than the others that are better known.

The area of your hotel can be challenging for good food. Use

Menupages.com

To help you find what you might like.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 20:14
4. Re: Pay at the door or is there a pass ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:21