We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

Hey guys

We are looking for a steakhouse in the Soho area (we are actually in Tribecca, but keen to dine in the Soho/Noho/Greenwich village area). So if anyone could recommend a good steakhouse thats not to pricey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,612 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

Not a steakhouse, but go to Balthazar for their steak frites ($38) or their bar steak ($31).

…eater.com/archives/…pointmap

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

The term "steakhouse" generally refers to a style of restaurant that is almost by definition pricey. It's a decadent experience.

Are you just wanting a very good steak dinner at a nice restaurant? Most NYC restaurants will have good steak options on the menu. This article will give you a just a sample of the breadth of affordable options: grubstreet.com/2013/03/new-york-steaks-that-… There are MANY more.

What particular per-person price did you have in mind for dinner excluding alcohol and tip? Do you need the experience of having a wide range of steaks on the menu and giant a la carte side dishes?

I almost forgot! Capital Grille at the Time Life Building location has a prix fixe pre-theater dinner menu. You have to dine between 4-7pm and specifically request the menu. It's $39 pp for three courses. There are two steak options, plus a fish option and usually lamb chops (though that might vary). Make reservations.

I've had this style of prix fixe menu at other Capital Grille locations and they do a VERY nice job. It's an excellent value and has the whole steakhouse experience. I found the food entirely equivalent to items ordered off the regular menu during other dining experiences at the restaurant.

I especially like CG because their non-steak menu items (appetizers, sides) have a little more modern finesse than some of the steakhouses that are steeped in tradition.

I'm a bit of a foodie and normally eschew chain restaurants, but I have to admit this high end chain does a great job. If you want to splurge on an extra item that is not part of the pre-theater menu, I HIGHLY recommend the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella appetizer and their lobster mac n cheese side dish (but only if you have a huge appetite)

Edited: 12 November 2013, 01:56
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

Near Tribecca is Harry's Steak (http://harrysnyc.com/index.cfm) in the Wall Street area. I haven't eaten there in several years. We used to have wine dinners there, and their steaks were very good.

In the Lower East Side is Prime and Beyond (http://www.primeandbeyond.com/Home.html). I've not tried this place yet, but it received good reviews from NY Times two years ago. See article: nytimes.com/2011/…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

Sorry, by the time Capital Grille popped into mind, I forgot your neighborhood preference. Still, consider it. There are lots of other fabulous places you can eat for a non-steakhouse experience in your target neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

Capital Grille on 42nd St is much better than the one on 51st St IMO. Both in terms of service and food.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,775 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

American Cut is the new Marc Forgione steak house in Tribeca. http://americancutsteakhouse.com/

7. Re: Good value steakhouse in Soho Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:20