We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

pa
Level Contributor
539 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

We are looking for a quick breakfast place, hopefully with seating that has good bagels, baked goods and Porkroll, egg and cheese sandwiches..Where we are from, no one know has a porkroll egg and cheese sandwich. Does anyone know of a few suggestions from Times Square. We will be headed downtown eventually so we could always find a place there but it would be convenient to east in time square for breakfast. Thanks!

Thanks!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

Near Times Square I like Pick-A-Bagel. Its a great concept. You say "Bagel" and they pick one for you. Also good size delicious muffins (banana nut muffins a rarity in the area), eggs, seating

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

Porkroll is not a NYC thing. NJ and Pa. According to my google search.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

Porkroll is Taylor Ham. Starlite Deli sells Taylor ham sandwiches and they sell egg and cheese sandwiches (with ham or bacon, etc). They may be able to make you a Taylor ham egg sandwich.

Taylor Ham is a NJ thing, but I know we ate it all the time growing up just north of NYC. Maybe it's because it was so cheap :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,499 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

I never heard the term porkroll until I read this. No clue what Taylor ham is either. I need to get out more!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

I'll share so no one else has to Google like I had to Google,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

That link says that a Porkroll, egg and cheese sandwich on a hard roll or bagel is found in New Jersey, and select areas of Philadelphia. I'm not sure how far from NYC you'd have to go, but that's what it says.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 02:53
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

Good Google job BB. The closest I got I was this.. …allpostersimages.com/images/P-488-488-90/65…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

I think Ziggy's is the right one :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

The thing about Pork Roll is that the meat has to be grilled (Not's Ziggy's porkroll, tho) so it comes as a "hot" sandwich, with eggs or even just plain grilled pork roll on bread roll. You get it a lot in deli's for take-out as well as diners. Its sorta like grilled Spam or grilled bologna. Its easy t get in NJ but it doesn't seem to have take to the bridges or tunnels. I have never seen it travel east of the Hudson.

http://jerseyporkroll.com

www.jerseyboyporkroll.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

…yahoo.com/what-taylor-ham-why-does-jersey-l…

You can also friend it on FB:

https:/…23601161638

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

Funny enough, this weekend I went to Dallas' one and only tiny little Italian market (Jimmy's Food Store). In the specialty meats case, nestled in with the various imported small salami, sat a couple of very lovely and authentic "John Taylor's Original Pork Rolls", imported direct from NJ, each in its own fancy cotton bag. Looking at the label, it really dawned on me that this is an Italian-American thing.

I'll bet at least some of the NYC Italian delis have it. That's where you should look for your breakfast sandwich.

10. Re: best deli/bagel/pastry place for breakfast,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:20