We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

Hi,

We are planning a week in NYC but would be back before the Thanksgiving due to some commitments. Are we really doing something wrong? Would I miss out on sales or major celebrations? M not too keen on black friday sale as I am not one of those shop crazy woman who could stand in long queues. Please help, longing to hear someone telling me good stuff on issing out Thanksgiving. This is my first time in the US.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated at home, so you're not missing much as a tourist there. What you're missing is the pre-Christmas craziness, which starts AFTER Thanksgiving.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

Have already answered your husband. ;). Yes, you'll miss some sales and you'll miss some xmas decorations, but you'll also miss crowds. In your shoes, I'd come when you can rather than not coming at all.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 12:29
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

Thanks BB! You just gave me a different perspective..Appreciate!

Nywhiz: Hahahah,,yeah u just did..Thanks a ton! How about shopping? Really not looking for long queue ones but would there be some decent sales at least? Heard some retailers do start early..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

There are sales here every day. Don't worry.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

nywhiz: (Y)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

Thanks everyone. We cannot change the dates and realized its better to get there now, than risk not going at all....so here we come next week, New York! Be nice to us :)

7. Re: Missing the Thanksgiving weekend in NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:18