We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

Brisbane, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

Hi. I have planned out a tentative itinerary for my 6-day duration in NYC for the very first time. As I'm heading during a crazy period (before NYE and New Year's itself), I'd like to seek advice on the feasibility of it.

Day 1 (27th Dec, Fri)

> Arrive at JFK Airport 2pm

> Check-in at Verve Hotel @ Long Island City

> Head to Times Square (explore and maybe eat)

> St. Patrick's Cathedral (short visit)

> Rockefeller (for the xmas tree, skating rink, and dinner)

> Top of the Rock observatory

Day 2 (28th Dec, Sat)

> Chrysler Building

> Grand Central Station

> 5th Ave & Madison Ave

> Empire State Building

> Broadway show @ 8pm

Day 3 (29th Dec, Sun)

> Woodbury outlet (becos it is our first and we want to shop and check it out)

Day 4 (30th Dec, Mon)

> Charging Bull

> Statue of Liberty (lunch)

> 9/11 Memorial

> SoHo/Chinatown/Little Italy (dinner)

Day 5 (31st Dec, Tues) **NYE

> maybe Central Park?

I'm not too sure where to go since everyone says it will be crowded ): help?

Day 6 (1 Jan, Wed)

> Brooklyn Bridge (for the Manhattan view)

> Brooklyn Heights Promenade

> catch flight at JFK airport, 9pm

Not sure whether it is okay to put Brooklyn on the last day since I will miss the night scene. Let me know if I can improve this :)

Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

If you haven't already bought tickets to your Broadway show, check availability ASAP. Many shows sell out.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
184 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

Personally I think that Woodbury Commons is a waste of time. There are no great bargains there. You can probably find better bargains in the city with the after holiday sales. I would take that off and move Brooklyn to that day. You might want lessen the items on day 1 as well. I cannot imagine you checking into the hotel before 4:30. I could take an hour alone getting through immigrations/customs.

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

Move Top of the Rock to the next morning. As I understand, there isn't much to see after dark (Central Park is a black hole) and so best views are during daylight hours.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

It's better to do TOTR during daylight. It has great views of Central Park. Times Square is better at night (the lights).

Lots of people choose not to do BOTH ESB and TOTR. If your really want to do them both, you could to ESB after dark on your arrival day and do TOTR on Day 2. I think it would be a rush to try to do TOTR on Day 1 before nightfall.

There will be lots of after Christmas sales in the regular department stores and there is also good discount shopping in NYC. It's hard to understand why you would want to devote a day to a suburban shopping mall (plus the cost of transportation), but I guess I'm not that much of a shopper :-)

There are lots of things you could do on NYE day. Keep in mind that it could be VERY cold, so don't count on being able to hike around Central Park all day.

Though lots of people will be in the city for NYE, it's not like the entire city will be terribly crowded.

You know, if you're really set on going to the outlet mall and you are afraid of being in NYC crowds on NYE day, you might think about doing Woodbury on this day. You might get some extra traffic coming back, but I'm not really sure what to expect there. I'll bet the mall will be a lot less crowded than on Sunday! It will be open from 9am - 6pm on NYE.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

I second moving your Brooklyn Bridge visit to the weekend day as you can also visit the beautiful Jane's Carousel when the ponies aren't resting....they rest Mon - Wed in the colder months.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

"I'm not too sure where to go since everyone says it will be crowded ): help?"

tripadvisor.com.au/…53783693

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

I agree that I would give Woodbury outlets a miss altogether. Plenty of shopping in the city or even if you are flying home via LA, I'd do the shopping there. After three visits to NY we still haven't seen everything we want to and we are heading back in December for another seven days. I am still struggling to fit in everything we want to see or do so my advice is make the most most of your six days in New York and ditch the full day of shopping!

I can't see Greenwich Village or Lower East Side on your itinerary? I think both are a must to visit.

Surrey
Level Contributor
158 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

You have to much in for Day 1 - you wont fit that all in if your landing at 2pm. I would move TOTR to another day

Brisbane, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions! I have since adjusted my itinerary and I can't wait!

What time does sun sets in NYC btw?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,916 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My 6-day itinerary - Is it feasible?

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…