We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanger & Cocktails

norwich
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tanger & Cocktails

Hi

My mum & I are going to New York on 28th Thanksgiving until dec 2nd. Having not been to New York since a child & not been to tanger outlets at Riverhead before I didn't know if there were any suggestions on best way to get there (tour, bus or cab?) and any suggestions on where to go for cocktails of a evening or maybe a good wine bar? We're staying at Waldorf Astoria.

Thank you.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

There are buses (and bus tours) to Tanger in Riverhead tangeroutlet.com/riverhead/directions-transp…

I'd look into the Jitney instead of a tour as that would probably give you more flexibility about travel times http://www.hamptonjitney.com/tanger/

It is 75 miles away so a car service would be expensive.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 21:19
norwich
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

Thank you, do you know any idea of cost for that as the link didn't work on their website ? Thanks for info think I will do that.

Middlesex London...
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

You should go to Woodbury common it's so much better.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

Woodbury Commons is much much closer and would make much more sense from NYC. Here's a guide with tips from someone from just a few days ago.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6990498…

As for cocktails, assuming you're talking about in NYC, in your hotel, Peacock Alley can be nice pre dinner. They sometimes have live pianist. The Kimberly Hotel is not far from yours and has a rooftop bar with views. The bar at the Four Season restaurant is not far from the Waldorf and has good people watching.

Nymag.com/nighlife

is a good search engine for bars. If you're looking for a place near the hotel, look in midtown east or east 50's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

Woodbury Commons is a better option - and I would avoid going to Woodbury on the Friday - Saturday after Thanksgiving. I suspect you will be in the same 2 hour line of traffic I got stuck in just trying to get by the Woodbury exit on Labor Day weekend on the way back from Woodstock (the lines of traffic were in both directions for miles around Woodbury). In fact, that whole weekend at any of the nearby outlets will be horrible.

There are a lot of great bars on 2nd Avenue in the 50s if you don't want something as swanky as the bar in the Waldorf. There is also a more casual bar there - the Bull & Bear that gets a big afterwork crowd but should be mostly hotel guests that weekend. I would just walk over to 2nd and see what bar fits your style - there is one after another. Or the bar in the W Hotel on Lexington makes excellent drinks.

suitcaseready.com

norwich
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

Thanks for your tips guys, I checked out Woodbury common as you mentioned and they do have some good stores, so will look into that, tanger at Riverhead has both of our favourite stores mine being the express outlet, so might make a trip to both if we have time but maybe avoid Friday & Saturday, Thanks for the tips on the bars - hopefully now won't feel quite so lost!!

7. Re: Tanger & Cocktails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21