We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

I am arriving in Manhattan on the 18th of December from Melbourne Australia (where it never gets all that cold)

And i was hoping someone could give me some tips on what women wear to stay warm in Manhattan Winter and what i should bring with me/buy on arrival?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

A good down filled coat; hat; gloves; scarf; comfortable, water resistant shoes. Lots of layers underneath the coat, so you can "peel off" when indoors. I would suggest getting a few thermal undershirts in either silk or techno fabric (for these, I suggest a quick visit to the Japanese clothing store, Uniqlo. They have three locations in Manhattan).

Keep warm and enjoy.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

I found that it was really cold outside, while impossibly hot inside. I wore a long wool coat, wool hat, layers, boots, gloves, & scarf. Then I went inside and perspired like crazy! You have to get layers off fast once inside, re: coat, cardigan, scarf, gloves & hat. It was striking how cold it was outside and how blinking warm it was inside whether it was stores, restaurants, or the hotel.

HTH -

Edited: 18 November 2013, 05:29
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

Thanks for the store name i will check it out when i arrive :D also do people wear nice leather boots when they go out clubbing or heals? because it seems like it would be cold trying to get from your hotel to a club in heals

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

There are some really nice boots that will take you from storm to club.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

some thick socks & some really good boots. I was in NYC same time as you will be & I was freezing. You can feel the cold in your feet if you do not have good socks/boots.

also a hat & scarf. I found gloves to be a nuisance & I lost one... If you have side pockets in your coat you can keep your hands in them.

I am so jealous. It is a wonderful time to visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

Lambs wool liners in boots for when you're spending a lot of time outside....can be discretely taken out if your feet overheat whilst inside......tho' I didn't find that actually happened.

And two pairs of gloves...both wool not leather..one pair of fingerless on first, then another full pair over the top..take these off when you need to read a map or check phone...hands don't freeze!!!!!

I avoid thermals unless I am outside ALL day, and not on the legs....wool pants (not jeans) with knee length socks or a skirt with tights 60-80 denier......it's too hot indoors for anything more than 2 1/2 minutes....a big down coat to the knees (not thigh or hip or waist length) is a great solution ......yes it's a pain getting it, along with the gloves, hat and scarf on and off but if that's the hardest thing about the holiday.....

I take a fold up nylon bag to shove all the bits and pieces into....keeps it safe and you can cloak the lot in one go in museums and many cafes and reataurants....

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

for people who lose gloves, due to taking them off to get money out, etc., take a piece of cord, the length of both your arms plus the width of your shoulders plus a little extra. stitch a glove onto each end. thread the cord through your coat sleeves. hey presto! your gloves stay with you when you take them off.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

I take foldable tote bags (amazon.com/BAGGU-Standard-Baggu-Tote/dp/B00B…) which come in handy to store your coat, etc, when needed. Great to use when going through TSA checks at the airport, keeps your clothing clean as they go through the scanner.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

Pam, what happens when you have to take your coat off? I'm trying to picture how it all works.

Stoney Creek...
Level Contributor
127 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Manhattan in Winter

I was getting a bit worried when I read this, until I noticed that the OP is from Australia. By all means, she should bring her thermals. I'm coming from Ontario, however. I'm thinking of bringing a sweater. Hee hee.

Unless it really will be that cold.....