We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

My 'foodie' family and I are traveling to New York from Australia for a week. I would appreciate any suggestions for a fine dining restaurant near Central Park for New Year's Eve as we are planning to walk to the park for the midnight fireworks.

We are staying in Midtown. Budget is not an issue but the kids are 9 and 11. Both are used to accompanying us to "grown ups" restaurants. We don't require kids menus. My younger one is not fussy at all but the older one prefers fish & chicken. I've looked on opentable.com and it seems that most restaurants are not taking bookings until end of November? Thank you for your suggestions.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

While it's true a lot of restaurants won't take booking more than 30 days out, there are still loads of places listed on

opentable.com

for that night right now. I note some that I might have mentioned (ie Lincoln) are either already booked for prime time or not putting those times on opentable.

While you say budget is not an issue, know that top restaurants can charge well over $100/person for a NYE meal and may not have options for kids (because they may not be so anxious to have kids there). There's also the logistics issue of timing of the meal. With the fireworks at midnight, you might want to eat late (ie 10 pm) and at many places the later you eat, the higher the price. For ex., some restaurants do 2 seatings that night, an early seating at say 7:30 and a late seating at 9:30 or 10. The late seating often includes a champagne toast at midnight and since you want to be in Central Park by that time...you might be paying for something you're not having. One idea is to have a more casual meal earlier, perhaps go to a movie and then go to Central Park.

Anyway, to answer your original question, the upper west side and the upper east side are convenient areas to eat before going to the park. On the upper west side, Telepan, Bar Boulud, Boulud Sud, Ouest, Lincoln, The Giraffe at Des Artistes, Dovetail are some of the fine dining restaraunts in that area. On the upper east side, Cafe Boulud (yes, same chef/owner and this one is my favorite), Daniel (again same owner/chef and even fancier), David Burke Townhouse, JoJo, the Mark Restaurant, Fred's at Barney's, Cafe D'Alsace. Some restaurants just south of the park in midtown like those at the Time Warner building (A Voce, Landmarc, Asiate), Marea, Betony would also work. The Park Room at the Helmsley Park Lane hotel might have something for NYE and there are 2 new hotels on west 57th st., the Viceroy and the Westbank that might have something. One restaurant that's very kid friendly on Central Park South is Sarabeth's, but it's not what I'd call fine dining. I think one problem you'll have is many will not have their NYE menus up yet so you won't know prices or what they're offering. There

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

One restaurant I forgot to mention on the upper east side that I really like is Park Avenue Autumn (the name changes by the season). Their Thanksgiving menu is $95/person not including drinks, tip and tax so if they're open for NYE, I'd imagine it would be at least $150/person if not more.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

What a superb reply by nywhiz, I hope others find it as well. It's important, as she noted, to consider that most fine restaurants have a special schedule and special prices for NYE, no matter whether they close early /or/ after midnight. (Both of those cases happen.) You should make sure that you search enough to find the right combination for your needs. You also need to make sure that you have a reasonably clear path to your destination without getting trapped in the "frozen zone", or behind police lines.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

Nywhiz, I am a huge fan!! I have gathered so much invaluable info from your posts as I've been planning this trip for the past 8 months. I have also read your post this morning re: festive restaurants. Thank you so much for your well considered suggestions. We are trying to stay on the East side so its easier to get back to our hotel. I have booked Park Avenue Winter. Only the 8.30 and 10.00 slots were available so I went with the earlier. But I will try to get a table at Cafe Boulud when they start taking bookings. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of your home town.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

Glad you found it helpful and thanks too to obsoperator for the nice compliment.;). I think the kids might prefer Park Ave. to Cafe Boulud, btw. It's got more razzle dazzle.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

PS, fyi, the fireworks are actually closer to the west side of the park than the east.

7. Re: NYE Restaurant Before Central Park Fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:18