We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Buckie, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Hi from bonny Scotland.

My wife and I are hoping to do a fly drive holiday to north east USA within the next year or so, with a rough itinerary as follows, New York city, Hartford, Boston, Salem, Albany, Syracuse, Niagara Falls, Corning, Gettysburg, Washington DC, Philadelphia and back to New York City this we think will take up some 15 or 16 nights.

My wife is disabled and can only walk short distances so she will be in her wheelchair.

I would like to know if any hire car company would deliver a hire car to a hotel in New York City/ Manhattan. I would prefer not to get a car from the airport as i do not wish to drive in the city, and feel it would be difficult to get a car from the airport when we want to start our driving holiday on the way to Boston via Hartford.

Hopefully there is someone out there that can help!

lightbodyae

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

11 cities(12 including NYC twice) in 15-16 nights?

You are basically going to get to 1 city, look around and then prepare to get to the next city. I don't think that you are taking into account travel time between each of those locations.

My advice....NARROW down that list to 3-6 places.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

I don't think there's any co. that will do this. Even Enterprise, who advertise they will come and get you will pick you up but bring you to their nearest location to fill out paperwork and actually collect the car. But you may not realize there are MANY mainstream car rental locations IN Manhattan so you could easily go pick up a car at a nearby location to your hotel and come back and pick up your wife at the hotel lobby. If you map your hotel on google maps and then click search neaby and put car rentals in the pop up box, you will see what's nearby.

maps.google.com

On a separate note, I'm curious about some of your destination locations like Hartford, Albany and Syracuse. It's none of my business, but care to share why these non tourist type locations? If you're just looking for stopping spots a certain distance from your target, I think we might be able to offer some more interesting options. ;)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Btw, I agree with ter, your list of destinations for 3 weeks is overly ambitious.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

When next year are you trying to do this trip? I would also be very concerned with driving to some of your Northern cities in the winter. A place like Syracuse for example. Years ago I went to college in the area--the definition of seasons in Syracuse---winter and July 4. AND they get snow like you have never seen. There could be multiple feet. Do you know how to drive in snow and on ice? It is not something you do instinctively? ( in fact, instinctively you do it incorrectly)

Buckie, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Hi all

Basically we looked on the map and decided that we did not want to do more than 150 miles a day so we tried to do a circle that would take in NYC, Boston, Niagara falls, and Gettysburg, which is why we have some of the non tourist stops on the list.

As I did state this is just a rough list it can be adjusted before we actually book the flights etc.

So if there are any suggestions please feel free to suggest them.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,888 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Here is a map of your current wish list. http://goo.gl/maps/0OHqV

I agree that this is too ambitious for a road trip, and changing hotels/cities everyday will not let you see the sights.

I'd suggest (in warm weather only) NYC > Train to Boston > several days in Boston and surrounding sights > Fly to Niagara Falls area, spend a couple of days > Rent car and spend several days driving south through things like Finger Lakes http://www.fingerlakes.org/ , and Pennsylvania Dutch Country http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp ending up at D.C. > Drop Rental car in DC, spend a couple of days there > To Philadelphia by Train for a day or two > Back to NYC by train.

The trains in the Northeast Corridor (DC to Boston) are reliable and will eliminate the stress of driving in some of the more congested areas. www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train

Edited: 19 November 2013, 14:12
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

First, I would forget about trying to see Niagara Falls by driving. It's a hellish long way to drive, not really near anything else you want to see and can be done easily by flying from either NYC or Boston where it's only about an hour flight. You fly to Buffalo, NY and you're very close. You can rent a car in Buffalo and drive to the falls and even use the car if you'd like to see Toronto or in good weather, the area Niagara on the Lake is very pretty.

I'd do the trip in spring or fall when weather is good. The truth is, of the 3 places you mention wanting to see, Gettysburg is really the only one where you need a car. Having a car in Boston is a liability as parking there is expensive and you don't really need one to get around. So one scenario is fly into Boston. Spend time in Boston. Fly to Buffalo and see Niagara Falls and perhaps the area around it. Then fly to NYC. Spend some time in NYC and then drive to Gettysburg and maybe also visit Baltimore and Washington returning the car to NYC for departure.

Buckie, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Hi All

Thanks for the info.

We have decided to fly to Boston have some time there, fly to Buffalo hire a car and have some time in and around Niagara falls, then drive through Pennsylvania towards Gettysburg, and end up at Washington DC for a couple of days.

The last part is causing a little problem, how do I push my wife in her wheelchair along with our 2 cases along a train platform!, she has suggested Greyhound bus from Washington Dc via Baltimore to Philadelphia, where we will stop for a night or two and then bus again from Philadelphia to NYC where we can spend 3 or 4 nights, before flying back to Scotland from NYC.

This trip will take place hopefully either in April, May, or June or as late as October depending on Health and Hospital visits.

Any information on above appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

If you are talking about Amtrak - check the page below for their services:

www.amtrak.com/accessible-travel-services

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,888 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: will a car hire company deliver a hire car to NYC hotel?

Amtrak has porters called Red Caps that will help you with your luggage, they can also let you get on the train and settled in a little early. (Don't forget to tip.)

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-services

You can also reserve a handicap accessible place: www.amtrak.com/accessible-travel-services

And you might be entitled to a discount as her travel companion: amtrak.com/accessible-travel-companion-atten…

The train is MUCH nicer and not subject to traffic delays, etc.