We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

Hi

My fiance and I are coming to New York on 28th December until 3rd January and are having difficulty deciding on a hotel. We have booked and subsequently cancelled a number of bookings.

We get married at Ladies Pavilion on New Years day so we are looking for something special. We like modern hotels so would prefer something new/recently renovated as we like our mod cons.

We don't want to be miles out of the action but would prefer to be away from Times Square. I love the look of Ink48 however I'm concerned it's too far out? Has anyone stayed here?

Also keen on Viceroy however it has mixed reviews and we're just not sure.

As to budget, ideally we would spend more than £3,000/$4900 for the 6 nights.

Don't mind about hotel facilities as we'll be only sleeping there although we do like a nice bar for a few cocktails.

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

If the price of the Ink48 is good enough that you won't mind using a lot of taxis, it's certainly a nice hotel. The problem is it's a 10-15 min. walk on what can be long windy blocks from the nearest subway station, something that's not typical at most other hotels. The area was once one of just warehouses and car dealerships. It's slowly being developed and now has some of the tv studios as well. But it's not really in a mainstream area (yet).

First I'll say at the price you're considering and for a weddding trip, wherever you pick, I would not just book online. I would pick a few hotels, pick the rooms you'd like at those and PHONE and have a discussion with the reservation manager. Know what prices are on various websites (check kayak.com which scans multiple sites) and quikbook and also check here on TA. Also decide whether you'd prefer the nicest room at a lesser hotel or the least expensive at a fancier hotel depending on what's important to you. Also decide how important it is to be near Central Park.

My first choice would be the Trump International Hotel at the southwest corner of Central Park. While published rates, esp. for a park view room, are above your budget, as I said, at that price point, I would PHONE the hotel and tell them you're coming to get married and would like to stay at their hotel. See what the best price they can offer would be.

The Quin is another new hotel nearish the Viceroy and you could afford one of their jr. suites with your budget. It's not a new building and there aren't a lot of photos on their website. The location is good. I don't know how nice it will be. The glowing reviews here on TA are a little too glowing for this sceptical NYer/ But it could be quite nice.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

The Chatwal is in the theater district a bit further south of the park than these, but that would also fit your budget and it's a swank hotel.. Langham Place is another very nice option as is the Bryant Park Hotel (get a park view room if you go there).

If you don't mind understated elegance, the Plaza Athenee and the Surrey are some others to consider.

Map

http://goo.gl/maps/CsCuv

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

Sorry, this map adds the Ink48 so you can see just how far it is

http://goo.gl/maps/ugU1O

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

oyster.com

is a website that has photos of a lot of these. I also haven't mentioned any downtown hotels, but if you don't know, the areas like Soho, lower east side, Greenwich Village are younger and trendier. I didn't mention any places down there because of the wedding in the park, but that's certainly an option. There's a Trump Soho, the Smyth is very nice, Thomspon LES, 60 Thompson....

tablethotels.com

is a booking site that specializes in trendy boutiques. They may also have some more photos of the kind of place you'd like. The Chambers is another hotel in midtown not far from the park that doesn't get mentioned much because it's pricey for what it is. But the location would also be convenient.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

The few times I have stayed in a hotel on NYC have been at the Plaza Athene and the Surrey. Loved the understated elegance and the location. Great for shopping and museum visits. Less so for restaurant choice but this iis New York, you walk, take the subway or a cab( I prefer a car service like UBER) and go "downtown" for greater choice of meals.

Western PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

We were married at the Duck Pond in Central Park. We stayed at the Essex House and it was wonderful. We did call and tell them we were coming to be married and they were helpful and generous and arranged a florist for my husband because he wanted roses in the room when we arrived. We also got small treats marked "for the Bride and Groom" and staff addressed us by name on a few occasions. I was walking though the lobby with a letter in my hand when a well dressed man approached me and said, "I'll mail that for you Mrs. Blank" I was impressed

It's not that modern, though. I think Trump Tower sounds wonderful.

I've worked with The Surrey for clients and they were also very helpful, but honestly, the Essex House had it over The Surrey for service. Or at least in our case. I booked 12 rooms at The Surrey and didn't really find them to be as kind as the Essex House was for our one room.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

Thank you everyone for your posts regarding hotel suggestions and thank you especially nywhiz with your tips on calling hotels to discuss rates and also additional things to consider.

Ink48 is a really reasonable price which would compensate for having to use a lot of taxis but we'd prefer to not have to rely on them so it's off our list as it's just a little too far out.

We're leaning towards The Surrey but are checking out all of the hotels that have been suggested and booking this afternoon.

Thanks again for all of your helpful replies!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

You should just know the Surrey is in a elegant but quiet neighborhood near most of the museums in the city. It's called the upper east side. You're literally steps from Central Park and the restaurant inside the hotel, Cafe Boulud, is highly regarded and one of my faves. The downside to this hotel is you have to walk a bit further over to Lexington ave. to find affordable restaurants although there are a few coffee shops on Madison ave. for breakfast or a casual meal. If you're museum goers, the location couldn't be better. You're in a great location for watching the fireworks on NYE, btw. Lots of good luck.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

Thank you for all your tips and suggestions. We've booked The Surrey and can't wait to arrive in New York for our wedding!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

We got married in New York in September, and we stayed at the Gansevoort Park. Loved it there! Very modern, very spacious and a good location.

I had originally booked directly with the hotel, but then found a deal through Magellan Vacations, which meant we got the overall stay for less, plus breakfast every day and a bottle of wine on arrival! (Only catch with Magellan is it HAS to be done on the phone). You could try them to see if they are offering anything better on The Surrey.

Good luck for your nuptials!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Married on NY Day at Ladies Pavilion - need help with hotel!

Lots of good luck!