We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Morgans

Central Point...
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Morgans

We are arriving 5 pm 11/26 at Newark and were planning to take the airtrain to NJ transit to Penn, and I was wondering if that is best, or if Grand Central is better/closer?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Morgans

If I'm not mistaken NJTransit does not go to GCT.

"is GCT better/closer" than what?????

Edited: 22 November 2013, 14:24
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,914 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Morgans

The trains from the airports don't go to Grand Central. They go to Penn station. You'd take the AirTrain from the terminal to the train station at the airport. There you'd transfer to a NJ transit train going into Manhattan (don't take an Amtrak train. They're more expensive). Make sure you get out at NYC Penn station. There's also a Penn station in Newark that comes first. At Penn station in NYC, your options are to walk, take a bus or taxi to your hotel.

All these options show a bus for the last leg.

http://goo.gl/maps/HIBdO

It's a 15 min. walk

http://goo.gl/maps/QvDKM

or a 5 min. taxi ride.

http://goo.gl/maps/L0WMq

The issue is how long will you wait for a taxi.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Morgans

I'd do what was said before, and just walk the 1/2 mile from 33rdand 8th to 37th and Madison.

To summarize: AirTrain to Railroad station; NJ Transit Train to Penn Station, NY. Go upstairs, or if raining find the 7th Avenue exit. Walk to Madison which is just after 5th Avenue.

If you are desparate to take the subway from Penn Station NY, take the uptown 2 or 3 train one stop, then the 42 St Shuttle one stop to Grand Central Terminal; then walk 1/4 mile south on Madison.

If you are desparate to take the bus, take the 34 or 34A east the 3 stops. You will wait on line longer for a cab than you can walk there. And if it's raining, just buy a $3 umbrella.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 19:33
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Morgans

If you can't find a taxi (and from Penn station it can be hard), use an e-car (or an e-taxi) like Uber or GoGreen. You request one through your smart phone and that has become the answer to all our problems when trying to get a taxi.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Morgans

it is easy to get a taxi if you walk up to 34th on 7th or down to 31st Street - avoid the cab line mess in front of either entrance to Penn Station

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 22 November 2013, 20:20
Central Point...
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Morgans

Thank you for the great advice, everyone, as I go through last minute details. We will plan to get off at NY Penn and now will walk up (probably) 34th, instead of waiting in the long cab line at Penn., and get a cab from there. My husband and I will be with my 84 year old mother, who is in great shape, but we will have been traveling all day.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Morgans

We did this route last night, Q32 bus is easy enough... But not 5 stops as Google suggests. Just follow the street numbers and press the bell! The hotel is not obviously marked, if you see Reserve door, entrance it to the left.

8. Re: Train to Morgans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 06:18