We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do before hotel check out

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do before hotel check out

Tues: so far our plan for the day of our check in isn't planned since we'll probably be tired. (Check in at 3pm, thought about maybe a Broadway show at 8pm but we have to be up at 6am the next morning so not sure what to do that evening)

Weds we're going to do Moving Image Museum, FAO, Brooklyn Bridge (hotel is in Brooklyn). (We have previous engagements Weds morning from 6am-1pm so it's a half day)

Thurs: SOL, Ellis Island, Paul's Chapel and walking to Chelsea Market. (Yes I realize this is a "long" walk) We'll stop in shops on the way, take photos, and really want to take in the city.

Friday: NY Transit Museum in Brooklyn (opens at 10am), Train to Hell's Kitchen (eat lunch there), Times Square, Walk from Columbus Circle the mile or so through the park to arrive at Central Park/59th, Walk to St Thomas, Berlin Wall (520 Madison), St. Patricks, and then Grand Central Terminal for the audio tour. Again thought about maybe doing a Broadway show perhaps this evening, the show we want though is 2 hours or so long and only is on at 8pm so by the time we'd be back to the hotel it'd be closer to 11pm with a long drive ahead of us the next day.

Saturday: Check out is 12pm and we have a 11-13 hour drive back to Chicago should we try to squeeze something else in and leave right at 12pm or leave early say 7-9am? If your opinion is to try to squeeze one more thing in-what? I've thought we can be safe and just walk around Prospect Park, Park Slope, see the Brownstones, etc or thought maybe we can take an early subway around 7am to Greenwich Village (approx 30-40 minute subway ride) so if we arrived at 8am and left around 10:30 we should be back with plenty of time to check out if we pack the night before. Any opinions or ideas of what to do in such a short time frame?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

I would avoid leaving during rush hour, either leave VERY early or wait until after 9:30 or 10, but partly depends on which route you are taking.

As for Saturday a.m. maybe...

Ride the Staten Island Ferry?

Find someplace for breakfast in Brooklyn Heights then walk the Brooklyn Promenade?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

Yeah I was definitely thinking either leaving around 9-10am giving us time for breakfast, shower, and packing and sleeping in a little bit later or getting up early and doing something and trying to be back at the hotel around 11 and get ready to leave. The idea of just having a good 4-5 hours to get into something is just too tempting to pass up! I did bookmark the Promenade (we're coming in January so I'm sure it'll be nice, cold, and quiet:)) ,A lot of places I looked at for breakfast don't open until 10 so I was afraid with waiting for food, eating, and the subway ride we'd be arriving just before check out.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

First, observations:

FAO Schwartz is NOWHERE near the Museum in Queens or the Brooklyn Bridge. There's no way you can do the museum and go to Manhattan and walk the bridge in daylight starting after 1 pm. FAO Schwartz is at Central Park & 59th st. where you plan to be on Friday. But Friday already looks positively exhausting.

As for your question about Sat., play it by ear. See how tired you are and how much you've been able to accomplish up to that point. If you hit some bad weather, you may not have done a fair amount of what you have planned. Since you're driving on a Sat., assuming it's not the MLK holiday weekend, (and maybe even if it is), I don't think it matters what time you leave other than how much daylight you get.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

Hi Whiz,

We planned on taking the subway to FAO, we're only going there to see the piano and then we're taking the subway to the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn Side) to watch the sunset (not walk the bridge) and then a 10 minute subway ride back to the hotel and then from there we'll figure out what sounds good for dinner and head back out.

Thanks for mentioning the issue about the daylight, I forgot that the sun will set around 5:30pm by the time we're halfway to Chicago. I can't decide if we should try to drive more during the night (leave 11:30-12pm and arrive in Chicago around midnight) since I'm going to assume driving through Ohio and Indiana at 8-11pm there really isn't going to be traffic. If we leave NYC around 8-9 we'll definitely hit the Chicago Saturday night traffic which can have us sitting only a few miles from home for at least an hour. Unfortunately we live off of a stupid one lane street which gets really blocked with traffic so either way highway or not we'd be stuck. Then if we leave around 6-7am we may be okay on Chicago's side, but I expect traffic 7-9am on NY's side. Either way I think we'd be sitting in traffic eventually except if we travel from 11/12 to 11/12.

Is Friday too much? I really want to the NY Transit Museum, it's got such weird hours through 10-4pm I had a really hard time trying to fit it in because we're definitely early birds kind of people so I imagine I'll get stir crazy just sitting waiting for the museum to open, I've read that's its pretty small though so I was hoping we'd be in by 10am and out within an hour- hour and half.

I did think about taking the 1 mile walk through Central Park out and maybe doing it Saturday Morning? If not a mile, maybe grabbing coffee and pastries and sitting in the Park before our roadtrip back. Says the F train could get us to the park from Hotel without any transfers in about 40 minutes if we get off at Columbus Circle. Not sure where the best place to "enter" the park is-but can play that by ear.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

I'd leave your last day for something you want to go back to or something you didn't get time to do. That can happen. And if you have an 11-13 hour drive then doing something with a lot of walking might be good too.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

The sun is setting in NY at 4:30PM, give or take a few minutes, not 5:30. Also, there is no rush hour on Saturday.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

That drive is awful. We dd it twice then started flying. You cant beat a very short flight compared to a 13 hour drive. The person or people driving will be positively exhausted.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

I've taken a stab at reorganizing your itinerary just because I think as it stands you're all over the place. Considerations:

1) The museum of the moving image is open late on Fridays and is actually free from 4-8. Unlike MOMA which can get packed on their free Fridays, MMI isn't that popular. Take advantage and go to the theater on Thurs. when it will be easier (and perhaps cheaper) to get tickets.

2) Don't waste time seeing Times Square during the day. See it at night when you go to the theater and eat in Hells Kitchen before the theater. Going there especially to eat during the day makes no sense (to me).

3) Stay in one area at a time!

Wed. STAY IN BROOKLYN

Arrive at hotel. Get yourselves settled. Go to the Transit Museum, Brooklyn Bridge and have a look around Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO is you have the time and inclination.

Thurs. STAY in lower Manhattan

SOL/Ellis Island, St. Paul's...If you want to shop, get on the subway to Soho or NOLITA.

Theater in the evening and Times Square (get tickets in advance OR try the TKTS booth that day in Brooklyn or at the Seaport downtown)

Friday Explore midtown

Subway to Grand Central terminal. Do the audio tour and maybe some shopping. Walk up Fifth ave. to St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center, St. Thomas, FAO Schwartz. Head into Central Park and have a walk around.

Go over to the Museum of the Moving Image.

As for Sat., decide on Friday how you're feeling, how the cats are doing, see what the weather is like and decide if you want to leave early for more daylight or try to squeeze something in.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

Bitw434, I spaced earlier advising about avoiding rush hour by not noting it was a Saturday.

I agree with Whiz that you should be flexible about Saturday.

One thing I would consider is the amount of daylight you have, and how far west you will be at sunset. It's been a while since I have traveled that direction via road, but I think I would want to be well past NJ before dark.

Edited: 24 November 2013, 16:30
10. Re: Things to do before hotel check out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17