We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,518 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

I have crown tickets for the Statue of Liberty booked for Sat April 5 at 10AM. The plan was to visit the WTC memorial and tribute center afterwards. I was intending to book a 4PM tour as I've heard 5 hours for SoL and Ellis Island (and I do want to do both). However, currently 3PM is the latest tour available for booking on the website.

Is the 5 hours a good estimate for SoL/Ellis Island? I figure that would get us back at 3PM, which of course wouldn't leave us time to get to a 3PM tour. If we could get to the 3PM tour without cutting the SoL or Ellis Island short, we could do the tour until 4:15, then the tribute center until 5:15 and have until 6 for the memorial (or the memorial and then the tribute center depending on where the tour ends - I haven't been able to determine this from the website). As best I can tell both the tribute center and memorial close at 6 (although the hours on the website are only until Dec 31).

I know these times won't work out exactly, but as the 5th is our last day in NYC, I'm trying to figure out if we have a reasonable chance of fitting this in, or if we should do the WTC Memorial/Tribute Center on a different day even if that means heading down to Lower Manhattan twice. I'm thinking we may need to do that anyway, as I can't see a way to fit St Paul's in.

Finally, can you take food with you to the islands? It seems like we'd have to do sandwiches or something for lunch as AFAIK there's nowhere to eat on the islands.

We would have been better off with 9AM tickets, but my daughter thought that was too early to commit to being up (and in her defense, we have a concert booked at Carnegie Hall the night before).

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

See below for answer for your food question:

http://www.nps.gov/stli/faqs.htm

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

Thanks. I tried looking on the nps website but missed that page. That's what I get for looking after a night shift I guess. ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

I think you'll be fine with 5 hours for both islands. Go straight to the crown climb registration and get that underway as soon as you arrive, the whole process before you even start the crown climb can be time consuming.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

So it sounds like we could see the islands and then probably the Tribute Center and Memorial on our own but probably not make it back for the actual tour? I was expecting a 4PM tour as the website says there is one on Saturdays, but when I tried to book there wasn't one.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

Maybe you can call and ask them about it. 5 hours seems about right-that's the time I've seen all of the experts quote. I booked pedestal myself and the guy from statue cruises told me that average time including ferry rides and security is about 4 hours. From what I've also read, the earlier you show up to do the SOL/EI tour the better because there should be less people on the island. The guy told me if you book a 9am tour-show up at 8:30-8:45 (I was expecting needing to be there at 8am and was kind of like you not sure if I wanted to commit to being there that early), for 10 am he quoted me needing to arrive about 30 minutes sooner at least. A lot of people according to their trip reports are able to do SOL/EI and WTC Memorial/Tour in the same day so it's definitely possible-again I would call and ask them about that 4pm tour. If anything I've also heard that Ellis is open, but many of the exhibits aren't there (according to recent reviews for Ellis Island on TA) and many people say they weren't even there 30 minutes before they headed back so perhaps even though you're going in April maybe the full exhibits won't be on and you would still be able to leave before the exact 5 hour time frame.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

Well, I suppose we could always leave earlier, I just didn't want to feel we were cutting the islands short. I guess we'd only need to be back by 2:30 instead of 3 to get to a 3PM tour, as according to Google maps it's only about a 15 min walk (although I'm not sure exactly where in Battery Park you disembark from the ferry).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

It is only a 15 minute walk. If you look at google maps you'll see a blue dotted line in the water saying "Battery Park - Liberty Island", well that is where in Battery Park the ferry leaves and arrives back. To get to the Memorial walk up Trinity Place then Greenwich St, I believe the lineup to the Memorial is on the corner of Albany St.

When you say "the 3pm tour" do you mean a guided tour or just DIY in the Memorial? If it's the guided tour then you'll have to be there on time. If it's DIY then they will let you in if you are a bit late or a bit early. They let me in about 45 mins early.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,518 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

I was talking about the guided tour. Otherwise I'd be comfortable that we'd have enough time.

9. Re: Logistics for SoL, Ellis Island, WTC Memorial and tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:19