We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

I have dual citizenship Canada and USA and reside in Canada. I have Canadian passport, but not USA passport. Will I be allowed entry into USA? Has anyone with dual citizenship travelled to and from USA on Canadian passport recently? Any hassles?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

Does your Canadian passport state you have dual citizenship?

If not - what's the issue - you enter as a Canadian, eh?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,361 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

Poppa--the question is, does your Canadian passport state you place of birth? If you were born in the US, it doesn't take much to figure out you are a US citizen. ( with a handful of examples) Bottom line, this question is NOT for these boards. Call the embassy and ask.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

Good call RGL - I agree this is a question for the Embassy authorities.......

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,817 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

According the the US Dept of State website: "Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States."

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

It doesn't say what the exceptions are, but I would definitely find out before you travel.

Actually, on another page it says:

"I have dual citizenship. Which passport should I use to travel to the United States?

All U.S. citizens, even dual citizens/nationals, must enter and depart the United States using his/her U.S. passport."

…state.gov/visa/…15

5. Re: Dual Citizen Visiting USA without USA Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:16