We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick first trip report

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quick first trip report

My husband and I arrived at Newark Airport on Fri Nov 22nd at 8:00am. It was my first time in NYC and we were both a bit nervous about navigation our own way to the hotel but it was surprisingly easy and affordable. We hopped on the air train and took NJ transit to Penn Station NYC. There were lots of attendants along the way who answered any questions we had.

We walked from Pen station up to the Milford NYC. They let us check in right away which was a huge bonus. Our room was small but clean and the bed was super comfy.

As we were only in town for 2 full days we hit the ground running.

We took the E train down to Canal street. We walked around Soho, Little Italy and China town. Had a fabulous lunch at NY noodle town.

From there we walked down to the WTC and did the memorial which was beautiful.

We then went down to battery park and caught a glimpse of lady liberty while enjoying a giant stuffed pretzel which blew my mind.

After walking back up and checking out the graveyard we caught the E train back to our hotel for a much needed rest.

Later than night we did Times Square, had a less than stellar dinner at Chevy's then grabbed a sweet treat at the Cake boss cafe to take back to the room.

Sat was a beautiful clear morning so we were up early and out the door. We went uptown to explore Central Park which I just loved! We then walked along 5th ave checking out some stores along the way. We had brunch at a little Spanish cafe (can't for the life of me remember the name but I was close to FAO Schwarz) I had brioche French toast and I was awesome.

We stolled over to Rockafeller plaza and took in the sights. We wished the tree had been uncovered but it was still beautiful with all the ice skaters. We ended up doing the NBC tour which we both enjoyed. We lucked out and got to watch the cast of SNL do a few min of rehearsals. I laid eyes on a few cast members plus Josh Hutchinson from the Hunger Games.

We had some tired feet by this point so back to the hotel we went for some R&R. I had some hot toasty coconut for the subway ride home, amazing!

Later that night we walked down to Macy's and the Empire State Building, we went up to the 86th observation deck. It was so cold and super windy but the city lit up was just breathtaking.

We had dinner at the Heartland Brewery which was pretty good. My husband enjoyed the beer sampler.

After dinner we strolled back to the hotel down 6th Ave. We walked around the Winter garden at Bryant park, how adorable! I wish I had know it excited earlier so I could have gone during the day. I picked myself up a cute little ring and had a latte and a peanut butter macaroon which was the perfect way to end a fabulous day.

We got up early, checked out and took the E train to Penn station NYC, then NJ transit to the AirTrain and flew out of Newark at 10:30am this morning.

What a great trip and what an amazing city! I'm in love.

Thanks to everyone who helped with my transportation questions. I'm so glad we jumped in feet first and used the subway/transit system instead of opting for a car/taxi

S :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick first trip report

uh oh.......this is exactly how the New York City Addiction begins......;)))

Lovely report, thank you so much for sharing!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick first trip report

Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like it was brief but very enjoyable time.

3. Re: Quick first trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:17