We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michelin Star Restaurants

Manchester UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Michelin Star Restaurants

Hi everyone,

I am usually a lurker in these parts but can't seem to be find an answer to my question.

Myself and my partner are travelling to NYC for Christmas (23-28 December) and are looking to treat ourselves by dining in a Michelin Star restaurant, not necessarily on Christmas day but preferable.

Anyway, there are so many it's starting to confuse me and I was wondering if anyone can please give me any recommendations.

Essentially we would like a restaurant that does either traditional, American, steak, gastropub or Chinese cuisine. I'm not quite sure on our budget but we will have around $600 to spend each day so I expect we'll be budgeting anything from $100-400 for this dinner.

Area wise, we are open to anything but it would be nice if it had a spectacular view (of anything really). But it's more about the food than the view.

If anyone can recommend anywhere, I would be so grateful!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

Look up Michelin star restaurants and peruse the list to see if any catches your fancy. Of the ones that fit your criteria (except for view), here are a couple of recommendations, i.e. cuisine wise.

Blue Hill - not much of a view - actually, none at all since the restaurant is down a few steps from street level. However, the food is fantastic and worthy of its star.

Peter Luger - great steaks. However, perhaps a bit "gruff" in the old style sense regarding white napkin service that you get from the other starred restaurants.

Aureole - easy location, i.e. close to theaters. Great food, service.

Annisa - in the west village. One of my favorites.

Of the starred restaurants, the ones I often recommend are Blue Hill and Annisa.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Hill
Blue Hill
605 Reviews
New York City, NY
Peter Luger Steak House
Peter Luger Steak House
4,059 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Aureole
Aureole
1,032 Reviews
New York City, NY
Annisa
Annisa
230 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

I wouldn't choose Christmas Day for this meal. Restaurants have limited menus and you should experience the regular menu that the restaurant offers.

I also agree your question is very broad. We don't have all the Michelin star restaurants memorized. Some of the best restaurants in the city, IMO, are:

Cafe Boulud

Gramercy Tavern

Le Bernardin

Del Posto

Per Se

Daniel

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Boulud
Cafe Boulud
1,067 Reviews
New York City, NY
Gramercy Tavern
Gramercy Tavern
3,347 Reviews
New York City, NY
Le Bernardin
Le Bernardin
3,020 Reviews
New York City, NY
Del Posto
Del Posto
1,484 Reviews
New York City, NY
Per Se
Per Se
1,611 Reviews
New York City, NY
Daniel
Daniel
2,925 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manchester UK
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

Thank you both for your replies.

I think the tip about eating on Christmas day is a good one and will definitely look at eating another day.

I also think myself and partner just need to sit down and go through the restaurants menu's as we find them. I will definitely take note of the recommendations you have both made, so thank you for that!

I'm sure there will be something we both agree on! At least I hope so anyway!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

There are very few good restaurants in NYC with a view (from up high). Many have nice street views. There are about 50 1-star restaurants in NYC and probably an equal number that many would argue are just as good. They range from more formal (Lincoln) to pubs (Spotted Pig), so you should probably just narrow down what sort of food and atmosphere you want, then the folks here can help you from there.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

This is the list of Michelin starred restaurants in NYC:

michelintravel.com/michelin-selection/…

Seven restaurants have 3 stars and five restaurants have 2 stars, but, as tubulus mentioned, there are over 50 restaurants with one star.

Unfortunately, fine dining and views do not go hand-in-hand in NYC, so you're probably not going to be able to fulfill that criteria, but you can enjoy great views and great food separately!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

Mice,in also publishes its Bib Gourmand, a list of places with good food at reasonable prices. Worth looking into on the more casual meals during your visit: michelinmedia.com/news/…

7. Re: Michelin Star Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16