We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

-Is the tree crowded at 5:30 am? I've searched the forum but I haven't been able to see many people getting there this early? We just want to see the tree without the crazy gridlock traffic. We're already staying in TS, I think I will have enough of that by then.

-Are shop windows busy at 6:30 am? We had planned to see the shop windows right after the tree. Will these be turned on? As in, will the moving and lit parts be functioning?

-Can we put our name on the list for Serendipity 3, cross the RI tram, and come back to Serendipity?

Thanks!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

-Not super crowded. There is always traffic in NYC around Rock Ctr around the holidays. That shouldn't affect you. You can walk there or take the subway from TS.

-Windows are not busy at 6:30 from what I see. I believe some stores(Bloomingdale's are on.) Can't confirm if all are on..but it's not very crowded. I would think that by 6:30, many are on.

-Suppose they call you name before you are back?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

I was thinking I could say we would be back in an hour or something. It seemed like a better idea in my head.

Thanks for the info regarding the crowds.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

Amazing what I don't know about New York. I had no idea the tree was lit 24/7 for the whole time it is displayed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

I used to pass by Lord and Taylor every morning before work. Was always the best time to see the windows. Never crowded.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

Walking the window routes early in the day is your best time and you don't have to do it as early as 5:30 AM and morning is the BEST time to SEE Times Square.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

I love Times Square in the morning. Once I had a cartwheel contest with a complete stranger at 3:00 am. Only in nyc...

Thanks for the advice guys. Were planning on getting to the tree at 5:30 (when it lights) and then checking out the windows after since the stores won't be opened yet.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

So it's off from what time until 5:30 am? Midnight? 2 am?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is typically illuminated from 5:30 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. daily, except on Christmas and New Year's Eve. On Christmas, the tree is illuminated for 24 hours and on New Year's Eve the lights are turned off at 9:00 p.m.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

That is very cool. If I am ever there at Christmas, what fun to be there at 5:30 am. To see it "come alive". It won't be the first one, of course, but so what, I don't think I'd care.

And I'm surprised it's shut down at 11:30 every night. To me that seems rather early for New York.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rockefeller tree at 5:30 AM and a few other small questions

**And I'm surprised it's shut down at 11:30 every night. To me that seems rather early for New York.**

Those da$# Con Ed electricity rates!

Edited: 25 November 2013, 22:03