We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card deposit

Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Credit card deposit

Hi all, I'm staying in New York next week and it's all pre-paid, however I just wondered when you give credit card details to a hotel at check in, in NY, do they take the the full amount or is it only charged at the end of your stay for any incidentals?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card deposit

A 'hold' for the full incidentals amount is taken when you check in. The money is never actually taken off the card, but the amount will not be available to you.

If you need to know how much this will be you should contact the hotel.

Also be aware that it can take a few days for the amount (minus any extra charges) to become available to you again after you check out.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 11:30
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card deposit

Also, be wary when you have pre-paid the full amount. I have had the amount deducted again from a debit card. Luckily I checked the account and could jump up and down to get it refunded straight away, but the first reaction was it's your problem not ours until I started to get stroppy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card deposit

It's important to put the incidental swipe at check in on a credit card NOT a debit card. On a debit card, they will put a hold on the amount of that hotel's incidental charges (different amounts for every hotel) and as said above, sometimes it takes too long to "refund" the amount. On a credit card, I don't think the amount will affect your spending ability, but check with your credit card co.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card deposit

Yup as whiz said. Before I had a credit card I use to just offer $200 cash upfront for incidentals to avoid the debit card hassle and it was always accepted (after once being caught short with my cash flow). Some of the more classier hotels may block access to movies and phone calls (suits me) with only $200 down and budget hotels are happy with $200 as long as you are not racking up incidental charges like room service (they may ask that you pay cash for that (suits me too). Talk to your hotel and I'm sure they will help you in any way they can but make sure you have sorted things BEFORE handing over your debit card at check in as they may just charge your card automatically and there is no turning back once it's done.

5. Re: Credit card deposit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16