We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK - rental for young driver

Prague, Czech...
13 posts
Save Topic
JFK - rental for young driver

Hi I am 24, and i would need to rent a car at JFK.

Do you know any rental company which has cheaper cars for people under 25? Or some company which has some packages? I just do not want to pay about 30$ every day extra...

Thank you

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

Where are you going after leaving the airport? You may have more options outside the airport. Sometimes it makes sense to use public transportation/car service/taxi to begin your journey, and then rent a car along the way.

Prague, Czech...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

I would like stay 3 days in NYC and then go to Washington, but i want to rent a car for my trip...

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

You do not need a car in NYC, parking alone will cost you a lot for something you will not use while you are here.

To get to DC take the Amtrak Train www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train (Or there are buses for an even cheaper slower option.)

You can get around in DC without a car as well.

If you do for some reason want to drive from NYC to DC (perhaps to see things between here and there?), look into picking up a rental when you leave NYC, perhaps in New Jersey, maybe at Newark Airport.

However, it is highly unlikely you will be able to rent a car without extra fees for being under 25 and extra insurance.

Be aware that is is some of the most challenging driving in the US and having a car will not help you have a relaxing vacation.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

IIRC, Budget used to rent cars without a huge fee if you were over 21, but it was a long time ago that I was under 25, so that may no longer be the case. However, I agree that if you are only going to NYC and DC, I'd just use public transport. I used to live in the Northeast US, and I wouldn't drive around NYC or DC unless there was no other choice.

Prague, Czech...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

Thank you, i just found some cheaper price in Alamo...there is it about 20$/day and i can have only smaller cars.

I wanna go to DC and then to Buffalo, and i hate public transport :) i like independence, stop whenever and whereever i want :)

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

Seriously. As someone who loves to drive, you do not need a car in NYC. Public transport runs so so frequently it is more convenient than driving and attempting to find somewhere to park.

$31 covers a week of public transport in NYC or around 1 hour of parking. You'll be stupid to rent a car while in NYC. Maybe rent it for travel between places, and save money when in cities.

M

Prague, Czech...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

Of course, in NYC i dont wanna car... just for travelling to DC and Buffalo and back.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

We paid someone to drive us from Prague to Cesky Krumlov and back. Because we didn't have time to see anything along the way, the highway was no more interesting than I-95 is between NYC and Washington DC. You seem to have already decided, but I'll add my voice to the No Car advice.

I'm mystified by the interest in Niagara Falls on this Forum. It's so far from NY, and there are mountains, vineyards, rivers, and (much smaller) waterfalls much closer to the city.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

What time of year are you planning to do this? The winter weather around Buffalo / Niagra Falls can be very hazardous for driving.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
San Frantastic
Level Contributor
949 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK - rental for young driver

@ obsoperator: Come on, now. Niagara Falls is pretty much world famous. You can't blame people for wanting to see it. Parisians probably think the Eiffel Tower is lame, but most likely understand why tourists want to experience it.

Mentioned in this post