We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody used airbnb

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Topic
Anybody used airbnb

Greetings

Just found out its illegal to rent apartment in nyc for under 30 days so I'm a nit confused about airbnb!!!

So has anyone used airbnb if so what did they think?

Did they have much contact with the owners or were the left to do their own thing?

Did they feel uncomfortable?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Anybody used airbnb

Greetings

Firstl the reason I asked in the first place was because I read a review from an Australian lady who had used airbnb but it sounded like she had a room in someone's apartment but when I checked out airbnb it's looks like there are some apartments you can rent without the owner being in residence thus leading to some confusion on my part as I has read that you can't rent apartments for less than 30 days I had my suspicion that it could be a scam so that is why I asked if anyone had used airbnb personally I didn't want advice on stuff I already knew just wether anyone had used it themselves.

It might have been a bit lazy of me to ask the question but I thought that was what this site was all about.

I was looking for some personal experiences of airbnb not people's opinion of it when they hadn't used it.

I await the usual backlash!!!!

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anybody used airbnb

Loven it, aren't you?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Anybody used airbnb

"I was looking for some personal experiences of airbnb not people's opinion of it when they hadn't used it."

I know people here are sometimes a emphatic about their commentary about things like AirBNB, but you must understand that besides mostly being illegal these type of situations are a hardship on regular neighbors/tenants as well as a potential situation in which a visitor will not get what they expected. (The opinions of those who haven't used it are not without merit.)

I wish there was some way to accurately verify which situations were legal but unfortunately there is not.

The NY State attorney general recently subpoenaed host records from AirBNB in NY, so at some point the situation may be clarified to the point that there will be some way for visitors to weed out the options, but even if that happens it will take a while to work it's way through the courts.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Anybody used airbnb

How do I put this

The legalities are of no interest to me I would like to know if anyone has used airbnb if they have was it a good experience or not

Did it do what it said on the tin

If they have used it would they use it again and could they recommend some apartments they have used?

I understand now that it is considered to be illegal but we all do thing that are considered illegal from time to time....NO???

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anybody used airbnb

appalling attitude to have

you will receive no assistance from this forum to BREAK THE LAW

Ive reported your thread

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Anybody used airbnb

"The legalities are of no interest to me"

When I travel I do try to respect the laws of the place I am visiting.

Please do reconsider visiting at all.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anybody used airbnb

Let's put it this way, (before you get deleted), the reviewer you were relying on may have had a great stay, but when your turn comes up, the landlord or the condo board may have been tipped to the fact that the unit was being used "illegally" (even if that doesn't matter to you). You show up to either the unit not being available (you are not allowed entry into the building) or you are actually in the unit and the police come to evict you. Is that worth saving a few dollars for. Add to that would be the cost of having to find alternative housing which can end up more than doubling your original cost.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Anybody used airbnb

Didn't mean to offend but are you telling me that all advertised apts on airbnb are illegal and when the lady I refer to was posting hrs review why did the posters of this site not reprimand her for using them in the first place rather than congratulate her on having such a great time in nyc.

And what business is it of anyone if I decide to use airbnb what harm does it do other than take profit away from the larger hotels??

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Anybody used airbnb

the vast vast majority are illegal yes and its VERY difficult ascertaining the very few that ARE legal

it harms new yorkers as there is less houin stock plus new yorkers dont want transients in their buildings

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Anybody used airbnb

Having transients in long term use apartments harms the security and comfort of its residents. If you insist in breaking the law and living dangerously, do so at your peril. If you are turned away or evicted in the middle of the night, it's no one's fault but your own. You've been warned.