We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Topic
Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

I understand that restaurants etc automatically charge a gratuity on the final bill - which is fine - but can I just ask would it be expected by the server to be given an additional "tip" as well as the gratuity on the bill?

Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

It is just for the 2 of us and I believe it us just a normal restaurant not some big flashy type of place! But yes we will always check now the bills at anywhere else we might eat at during our stay - thanks for the advice very much appreciated.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

I have heard that some restaurants will add a gratuity when they hear a UK/Australian or non-American accent - reckon they have been stiffed in the past....

So check your bill - if gratuity is added, no reason to add more unless you felt you received superior service.

Poppa

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

Yup my observations on my past two trips are that this is pretty much exclusive for us patrons with foreign accents. If I returned to an establishment in the next day or two the tip wouldn't be included. I think it's good training for visitors and ensures the servers don't miss out on their tips. I tip 20% so will bring it up to that amount at the cashier's desk which is not an additional tip- just bringing it up to my standard tip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

LIKE Button for Pedro

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

LIKE button for all visitors who ask about how to get it right. :)

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

Just for the record, my husband and I sound like NY'ers (almost to a fault...LOL) and still had the auto tip applied. We were with our 2 kids and probably just looked like tourists. (We live on LI and my husband works in the city) So, it can happen to anyone.

Like I said, I would have tipped more than the 18%. It bothers me that the waiter, at Empanada Mama, didn't mention it or even circle it or do anything to make it more obvious so that I wouldn't double tip. To me that is a little sneaky!

Edited: 27 November 2013, 10:52
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

Travelling to the US in 2009, 2010 and 2013 I have never had the tip / gratuity added on automatically.

I've always travelled to cities where doubling the tax has added up to at least 15% so I've always done that and then rounded up / added a little bit more.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

I was out 2 weekends ago with a friend's family after their son won the "pee wee football Super Bowl." We had the tip added to the bill(7 of us.) My buddy and I split the bill. He gave me cash. I put it on my card. The server did a great job and she was in a great mood! I crossed off the tip that was added and gave her more in cash.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

The thing about accents would seem to be true. We went to the same place twice within a few days but at the same time of day - one time they added a gratuity for us and the other time they didn't. I believe it was because one server picked up on our accents and decided to "help us". It doesn't bother me though - I tip anyway (and probably more if I'm calculating it myself actually), but it is definitely important to check the bill before you pay.

20. Re: Gratuity payments ? Plus tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17