We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Plainfield, MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

My wife and I will be in NYC for 5 days early Dec staying in Midtown near Grand Central Station. I've been looking for a nice dinner/jazz venue for Saturday night Dec 7. I had decided on The Black Duck but they are closed to the public that evening for an event. Any similar venue recommendations? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Look into:

Jazz Standard

Birdland

Dizzy's

Ginny's Supper Club

Kitano Hotel

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Dizzy's Coca Cola is imo the best place for good dinner/jazz just on the edge of midtown and the upper west side. The Jazz Standard just below Blue Smoke restaurant and serving the same food is a more casual option. Birdland and Iridium are the 2 best jazz places in midtown but neither is known for their food. The Black Duck is not particularly known for their jazz either, btw.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Forgot about Kitano! Thats really close to Grand Central. Dont know if they serve food in the jazz club tho.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Hi HoosierYankee,

We have gone to Dizzy's Coca Cola Club, as per nywhiz recommendations - thank you!:-), for our 13th wedding anniversary - I can only highly recommend it! Fantastic views, nice food, amazing blueberry bourbon sangria and music...the music was simply phenomenal. I could not keep my eye of the pianist's hands - they seemed perfectly detached to his body and just functioned on their own (I play piano myself and I was mesmerised, real old school!:-)), the drums were so entertaining - it was beyond belief and the cello just had a life of its own...defo worth considering it!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Dizzy's is up a couple of levels with floor-to-ceiling walls, polished interior, and overlooking Central Park South. Jazz Standard is basement-level with lunchroom-style tables (you're likely to sit with others), so not as pretty as Dizzy's, but oh their barbeque looks fantastic. The two are worlds apart ambiance-wise.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Floor to ceiling WINDOWS I meant to say...

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Dizzy's is a part of Jazz at Lincoln Center which is run by Wynton Marsallis so it had better be good because it's his reputation both in & out of the jazz world.

Plainfield, MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

Thanks everyone for you most excellent recommendations. I checked out a couple of your recommendations and settled on Dizzy's where I made reservations. I'm excited!!

9. Re: Midtown Dinner/Jazz Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 06:20