We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

NL, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

3rd trip to NYC and I fall in love more each time. The advice found here on Trip Advisor is invaluable. Report to follow.

NL, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Day 1

Flight arrived at 10 am into LaGuardia. G's luggage arrived but mine did not. Air Canada promised to deliver to the hotel in the afternoon.

Bought our Metrocards at the airport, got the Q70 bus right outside to the 74th/Roosevelt subway station and then got the Manhattan-bound F train to 34th Street Herald Square.) A 10 minute walk to our hotel. This was all so easy. Once again, thanks Trip Advisor peeps.

We checked into the hotel around 11 am and got into our room with no waiting. Comfort Inn Manhattan – small rooms but I would definitely recommend. Dropped off the luggage and then walked to Times Square for our first look around. It was so surreal to be in Manhattan again. There really is no place in the world like it. We were on such a high at this point.

Headed to Pure Thai for lunch. This was fantastic – thanks Ziggy! The chicken curry puffs were especially amazing. Then proceeded to do some walking from 51st up past the Lincoln Centre and over to the Hudson River. Picked up wine for the room on the way back down.

Dropped back to the room – 35th turned out to be such a convenient location for us. Got changed, had a glass (or 2) of wine and got the subway to see Suzanna Choffel at Rockwood Music Hall. Since we’d had such an early rise (and G hadn’t slept at all), we decided to leave the show early and head to the Cloister Café. I had fettucine duck (and a potent mojito) while G had linguine pesto (and an ok sangria). My pasta was fantastic. G’s linguine had enough pesto for 4 dishes. Dropping tired at this point so we grabbed the subway and headed back to the hotel for some much needed zzzzzzzz's.

NL, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Day 2

Day 1 had been great weather and Day 2 turned out to be no different. A little chilly but lovely for walking. We grabbed breakfast (free) at the hotel and it was much better than I had expected. The bagels were great and they also had scrambled eggs, ham, creeal, muffins, donuts, waffles, juice and coffee tea. We quickle went to UniQlo on 34th as G needed a warmer jacket.

We took the Subway to Columbus Circle and went to Whole Foods to pick up a picnic for the park. Thsi place was interesting whith lots of great foos. We just picked up a couple of small sandwiches and a few mini-dessert treats. We then headed to the park for a few wonderful hours. We walked past the rink, the mall and to the fountain . We stopped here for a bit to listen to a group singing Christmas songs. I can't remember their name but they were great and we bought their CD. It was one of those moments that you want to file away in your memory forever.

We then went to an area across from the castle and had our picnic. It was beautiful and sunny at this point. We ate and then headed to the castle. It was my first time to the castle and it was so cute in the middle of the park. Took a few pics and then headed for the rink. I had skated at Rockefeller Center before but skating in Central Park was a better experience. It is larger, not as crowded, no wait to get in, the skates were better and we were skating in the middle of Central Park. Another amazing moment / experience.

We left the park and went into the Plaza Food Hall. Picked up Lady M cake for later. We then walked down 5th Ave as it was just starting to get dark. The decorated windows and Christmas lights were magical. Headed back to the hotel and got ready for Once.

We walked to the show and tried to get there early as the bar on the set opens before the show, you can buy drinks and some of the cast comes out on stage wiht you to play / sing before the show starts. I was very excited at this point as I'm a huge Doctor Who fan and couldn't wait to see Arthur Darvill. We had partial view seating in the second row with railing in front of us when we sat. A set guy came over, told us to smile and proceeded to take the railing away. The view was great at this point and well worth it for the reduced price. I loved, loved, loved the show, Afterwards, we waited outside for the cast. I'd been to this theatre 2 years ago to see Mountaintop with Samuel L. Jackson and Angela Bassett - there were far fewer people waiting this time. The cast were very friendly and it was so great to see Arthur Darvill and have a pic taken wiht him. There were limos outside which we assumed were waiting for the actors so it was funny just to see them walking off into the crowds towards Times Square.

We walked past Times Square and got the Subway to La Mela. I had yummy linguine and clams and it was as delicious as I had remembered.

So tired again and feet starting to hurt. :( Headed to room for sleep.

NL, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

I'm just realizing this TR is not so brief after all. :)

SE QLD
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

It's also a fantastic TR. Thanks for posting so far.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Keep it coming :)

NL, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Day 3

My feet were really sore at this point and I needed better footwear. Headed to Macy's and shopped for a bit. The store was just too big and overwhelming so, even though we got a few things, we were grouchy when we left there and were looking forward to some fresh air.

We walked to Grand Central and had Junior's cheesecake. mmmmmmmmmmm. Then headed to the UN building. We didn't plan to go inside but wanted to go to the giftstore only. However, you have to pay for a touur to be admitted to the building from Mon-Fri so we decided to skip. We got the subway to Choate Nawab for a yummy and affordable lunch. Would highly recommend this place.

Then got the Subway to the Met. We just visited the Egyptian section and 19th Century painters. Would have loved way more time hee and will definitely schedule this into our next trip. Feet / legs / back / shoulders / eyeballs hurting at this point. Subway home to get changed and then walked to 48th to see First Date. We had seats in the nosebleed section and the show was good (not great) in spite of me nodding off a few times. I was sooooooo exhausted at this point. Headed back towards hotel. Picked up subs and brought back to hotel and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

^^ "We stopped here for a bit to listen to a group singing Christmas songs. I can't remember their name but they were great and we bought their CD. It was one of those moments that you want to file away in your memory forever."

What a lovely comment.

^^ "Feet / legs / back / shoulders / eyeballs hurting at this point." Ha ha!

Fun report...thanks.

NL, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Day 4

Breakfast at hotel again. Then got Subway to Brooklyn and got off to walk back on the Brooklyn Bridge. Beautiful and sunny and cold. What a wonderful walk. 2nd time doing it and I would highly recommend it. Then walked around Chinatown / Little Italy. Had pho for lunch at Pho Grand. It was good but not perfect. In search of the perfect pho still.......

Walked around more. Bough a cannoli and then came across Rice to Riches unexpectedly. OMG - love this place. Delicious as ever. Walked up 6th ave. Went to DSW and Burington Coat Factory and Union Square. Successful shopping. :)

Looked at a few things at the Union Square market and grabbed a subway to hotel. Changed. Drank wine. Walked to 48th street to see Too Much, Too Much, Too Many. What a great show. Intimate setting. Loved it.

Tired of eating, walking, shopping, breathing at this point and just wanted meat and potatoes - fast. Went to the crazy, loud Shake Shack near Times Square. Fought for a table and had a great burger and shake. Wanted to go to Times Square for a bit but my body just wouldn't allow it. G was kind and went back to the hotel with me. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This was my 3rd trip to New York and it never ceases to amaze me how this city utterly exhausts me - it chews me up and spits me out. My mind wants to go go go but my body says no no no.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Try Xian famous foods on St. Marks. They have a Chinese Noodle soup ....and is quite amazing in my opinion......

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brief Trip Report November 20-25 NYC - I love you.

Nice report. How long would you say you were at the Met to see those two sections?