We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

Hi and thank you in advance for your help Trip Advisor Family...

Ok here it is, let me know if it is doable or for some reason not in my best interest

We are a family of 4 (kids 12 and 9) driving in from Montreal, Canada and staying at a the Holiday Inn Laguardia (37-10 114th in Queens). The purpose of our vacation is to take a cruise from the Manhattan cruise terminal on the Norwegian Breakaway departing a Sunday. We will be arriving Saturday around noon if we can help it. OK there is my intended game plan...We arrive Saturday and check in if possible. The hotel will keep the car for the week at a nominal fee (but based on what I have found out there, though a bit expensive, it is fairly reasonable but I am open for other suggestions). We leave the bags at the hotel, take the 7 train to Broadway or nearby, walk and explore, have lunch, sightsee and go to toys r us for the kids. Head back to the hotel via the 7 train again in the evening or when we feel like it. The following morning is cruise day. I want to be fairly early at least it leaves room for getting lost etc. So we hop on the 7 train again, and then the 50 crosstown bus (or something like that) and get off near the terminal...have to walk or cab a very short distance - this in total is to take about an hour.

When we disembark we hop a taxi to the 7 train, and take it back to the hotel in Queens. Leave to return to Montreal.

I have been told that traffic getting out of New York is a nightmare,. Is this a doable option or is there a better game plan out there. I have been told to stay in New Jersey, that way it is easier to head home after the cruise as I am already near the highway home.

Thank you again for your help and look forward to weighing the options...

I do not want to park at the cruise terminal because it is 35$ per day plus I still need a hotel room.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

That sounds really complicated with two kids and cruise luggage for the entire family. I would suggest booking a car service to take you from the hotel to the cruise terminal. You will probably have a lot of luggage to lug around and the kids may not be much help. Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are two options. I would do the same in reverse, or just take a taxi the whole way.

Get a quote and see how that compares with the ease of parking near the terminal.

Traffic isn't ALWAYS terrible getting out of NYC. You haven't told us when you are doing this.

For advise on other options, include your exact dates and target hotel budget.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

Getting to the cruise terminal should be easy. You can take the 7 train to the end of the line in Manhattan (42nd St/Times Square) and then just grab a cab. That would be your best bet, with luggage.

Getting out of Manhattan can be ugly depending on the time of day and how you are getting home. Since you are driving, I would leave in the morning, when most of the traffic is coming in towards Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

The only way to determine whether this is a good plan is to compare it to other options. Unfortunately most hotels don't offer park and fly rates. I don't know if you just phoned the Holiday Inn LGA, found the park and fly rate online or what other options there may be. Given the location of the cruise terminal, staying in closeby New Jersey does make more sense. The Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, NJ is almost directly across from the pier and there's a ferry to get to/from Manhattan. They used to offer stay and park rates for cruising but I don't think they do any more. Your other option is looking at parking at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken, NJ which should be about $12/day and in theory could stay anywhere. The Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ isn't far. They may let you leave the car there too. I would look at those options and compare costs. Staying out at LGA isn't wrong, it's just not terribly convenient. I agree if you do do it, I'd use a taxi or car service to get to and from the pier. Using the subway is fine for a day trip without luggage, but with luggage and kids, not practical IMO.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

map

http://goo.gl/maps/6lPZf

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

I don't get it nywhiz....where am I going with this map

Thank you...so it is not unreasonable what I have planned. How about the Saturday we do a dry run (anyway we wanted to go to times square Saturday). If we see that it will be too complicated with kids and bags, then we get a car service or taxi to the terminal. If it seems easy enough. We are travelling light 2 suitcases and two carry on packsacs, we take the train to the end line and cab instead of 50 crosstown bus to the terminal.

As far as getting home, after we end up back at hotel in queens it will be Sunday march 9 at about noon....is it hard to get back to Montreal....hard meaning nightmare not just a bit of traffic 30 mins or so. I can deal with that

My whole reason for not just parking at the terminal is to save money. I need a hotel anyway, so I don,t feel like paying 250$ to park for a week plus the cost of a hotel nearby. Same thing if I have to pay a taxi from out there to the terminal two times, may as well have stayed in the city. I was hoping the train would be economical and convenient, it is looking to be economical...so basically is queens a bad option, much easier from New jersey

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

I'll try again. The Manhattan pier is at the extreme west side of Manhattan on the Hudson River. LGA airport is about 40 mins. EAST of the island of Manhattan. So both in terms of getting in and out of Manhattan AND going to the pier, LGA is less than ideal. I was trying to show you that there are both parking options and hotel options in nearby New Jersey that would be more convenient for you. I gave you 2 hotel names, the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor and the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. I suggest you phone both and find out if they might have a stay and park price or what they might charge you. Your other option is to stay in one of these hotels which are STILL closer to Manhattan than LGA and as you point out easier to get to/from Canada. If neither hotel will allow you to park for the week, you can easily park the car at the Port Imperial ferry station in Weehawken, NJ.

nywaterway.com

Once you have all the price information YOU can decide if it's worth it to you. For me, I would not stay at LGA to do what you want to do. I'd find some place in New Jersey even if it's not the 2 places I mentioned.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 18:52
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

ok I see. Thank you NYwhiz

How long and how much is it to get to times square from the nj side if we park at weehawken. or for convenience another park and hotel location that is convenient. we want to visit time square on saturday and return to hotel. the next morning we can park at one of the nj parking areas and take some sort of public transfer to the pier.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

"How long and how much is it to get to times square from the nj side if we park at weehawken."

There are 2 ways to get to Manhattan from the ferry terminal parking lot in Weehawken. The first faster but more expensive option is to use their ferry. ;) Adults cost $9/ride , children $6 The travel time on the water is 8 minutes. Then they have a free bus on the Manhattan side that takes you to various places, Times Square being one. If you stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, they may have a special room rate that includes passage on the ferry from their stop. The Sheraton is not at the Port Imperial stop but down the road at a stop called Lincoln Harbor. But if you were to stay at the Sheraton for that one night and they won't let you park the car for the week in their lot, you could still park the car at the Port Imperial terminal.

There are also buses that do the route from either Edgewater or Weehawken. They cost about 3/adult and $1.45/child and take about 20 mins. They drop you at Port Authority bus terminal which is a block from Times Square.

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

Btw, coming full circle, you can do what you originally intended and stay out at LGA. I was just trying to provide you with an option that I think is easier and closer and involves less driving for you and less commuting. If you stay at either of the hotels I suggested, you could also wind up with awesome views of Manhattan as they both face the city across the Hudson River.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Logistics help with my trip - transportation related

I did some research, those hotels are much too expensive and do not have parking for the week. Parking at their lots nearby end up being about 25$ a day. We found parking at A hotel in Seacaucus but at our own risk....I understand the statement, but really is seacaucus that crime ridden? We found 12$per day parking at seacaucus junction....is that location convenient to transit into the city?

Thank you very much for your help