We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Wrexham, North Wales
Level Contributor
912 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Hi guys,

Happy Thanksgiving :)

We are going to a ticketed event at a bar on 48th & 9th Ave for New Years Eve from 10pm. So we are hoping to go for a meal before hand. We are stopping in Morgans Hotel on 37th & Madison, so would prefer to head towards our NYE venue to eat, to try and stay clear of Times Square area.

We fancy an Italian Restaurant and after researching on Open Table and reading the reviews, we have narrowed it down to a few choices, all of which, I think (or hope!) are in or around the area we need to be….

I just wondered if anyone could help me try and decide which restaurant to book….?

Options are : -

Maria Pia on 51st & 8th

Crispin’s on 52nd & 10th

Mario’s Trattoria on 37th & 9th

Nocello on 55th & 8th

Bello on 56th & 9th

Any pros or cons on any of the above anyone would like to share….? Taking into account that it will be NYE...?

Many thanks in advance, as always

Emma :)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,241 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

From that list I would narrow it down to None, sorry. I'm particularly surprised to see Crispin’s there which is brand new and not much of an Italian

I would look at these instead for cheap but (more) authentic...

Il Melograno

Mercato

or got for the splurge at some of the best Italian in town slightly out of the area...

Lincoln

Marea

With that said I have no idea what they offer for NYE and if you can still get resvs

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Did Crispin get bad reviews? Looks nice to me although not strictly Italian food. Il Melograno is not just a good call, but a better location than some of the ones you list earlp. I think you have to go really far west to stay out of the mess. I'd worry that you'd have a hard time getting to Maria Pia. Basso56 is another popular Italian further east.

Wrexham, North Wales
Level Contributor
912 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Thanks guys. This is why I posted! Initially you guys advised me to check Open Table, which I did and this is how I got my short list.... and as I had nothing to base it on, just went off location and reviews.

Thanks Whiz - Basso56 looks like a good shout. I am just trying to speak with them to see if they are open / taking bookings for NYE...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Here's the map. You could take a bus up Madison ave. if you didn't want to walk to the restaurant.

http://goo.gl/maps/7KzLr

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

How about 44 Southwest, corner of 44th and 9th in Hell's Kitchen area.

http://www.44southwest.com

Family run, cozy, nice menu - check it out - we have been there a couple of times, very enjoyable.

Poppa

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Look at La Masseria. We are booked there for NYE.

New York City, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

Crispin's is really a great place. I was having diner there a few days ago and the food and the service were fabulous...

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,241 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

What did you like there?

I was intrigued when they first opened, but hard to get excited about the menu. Too mainstreamish and full

9. Re: Italian Restaurant for New Years Eve....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:19