We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York just before Christmas with Kids

Hoddesdon, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
New York just before Christmas with Kids

Hi All

Just after some advice. Its our first trip to New York with our twin girls aged 7 (will be their birthday while we are there). Any ideas on breakfast venues around Times Square along with any restaurant suggestions and any must do ideas i.e. attractions/shopping. We are have booked to go to F.A.O Schwartz for breakfast, statue of Liberty and plan to ice skate at Central Park and go to the Top of the Rock. We are there from Thursday afternoon to Monday evening (23rd December), any suggestions much appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

The American Girl Doll Café is open from 9.30 am for brunch www.americangirl.com/stores/location_ny.php

or just a visit , looks like every little girls dream store

Edited: 28 November 2013, 20:54
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

That's a great start..... here's the list of 'Must-see's and Must-Do's'

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s409/New-York-…

And here's the list of the Christmas

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c74298/New-Yor…

There's also the fantastic thread by Frangipani about the 2013 dates for these things...they'll all be going when you're there, so I don't think you'll need to worry too much about looking that up...but here it is anyway:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6976…

Edited: 28 November 2013, 20:58
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

PS there is a beautiful Carousel on the DUMBO Promenade (at the Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn Bridge). I think your girls would love that....(I'm 40+ years older and I loved it).

So if you decide to go over to Brooklyn to walk back over the Bridge then I would recommend spending a bit of time over there to at least see THAT view (of the Manhattan Skyline) and have a ride on Jane's Carousel...the ponies are out and about on each of the days of your visit EXCEPT Monday.....

http://janescarousel.com/

(There is also a Carousel in Central Park which is also supposed to be gorgeous but I haven't seen that one.....it might be easier to get to if you're not planning a trip over to Brooklyn).

Have a lovely holiday.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

For a birthday, I'd say go to Alice's Tea Cup and have afternoon tea. The girls will love it, and then you go to the American Museum of Natural History, which is always a fave with kids.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

I'll reiterate that you should read through the Top Questions section.

Other ideas :

- Go to the American Museum of Natural History (dinosaurs and other interesting stuff). It's also a good "bad weather day" activity.

- Do a Christmas window display walk. I don't have the link handy, but there are some maps you can find of the best decorations by googling or doing a forum search (but google is better for searching and will even find prior TA posts)

There are a number of good Breakfast places around Times Square. It depends a bit on where you are staying because "Times Square" hotels are situated in a wide perimeter around TS.

Here's a recent thread on the TS breakfast topic and it includes NYWhiz's great TS breakfast recommendation list: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6940318… You'll find others by doing a forum search (but her list is pretty extensive)

For general restaurant recommendations, there are many hundreds of good restaurants in Manhattan that would be suitable for family meals You'll need to be more specific. Think about what types of foods you want to eat while in NYC, maybe think about the girls' favorite foods (you might be able to find awesome versions in NYC), also think about your budget and what area of the city you plan to be at mealtime (hopefully it won't be limited to right near your hotel). Also think about price point.

For shopping suggestions, again you'll need to be more specific. What type of shopping? What do you want to buy? Are you looking for budget/discount shopping (again, for what?), or eclectic independent shops, or mid-range shopping, or high end ?

Mommypoppins.com is a good resource for NYC with kids. In addition to lots of "regular" suggestions (including restaurants), the site also includes particular events that may be of interest.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

Here's the details of the window displays:

…about.com/od/…holiday_windows.htm

The map Chris mentions is there too:

…about.com/od/…bl_xmaswindows.htm

Don't forget to look up to see the building decorations too.....maybe you can make finding them into a game.

7. Re: New York just before Christmas with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 06:19