We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

Hi all

We are visiting NYC for the 3rd time.

We have done all the tourist stuff (well most) like Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Central Park, Times Square, Chinatown, little Italy, 9/11 etc.

Was wondering if there is anything new and exciting to do differently - food tasting tour, fancy restaurant with great skyline views, man v food challenges,

Anythin to do in brooklyn, Bronx, New Jersey, Staten Island??

Sorry to be so picky....but as we have done the major tourist spots we are looking for something different.

Any ideas will be grateful

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

You haven't said when you are visiting. I'm assuming it's now?

Since you've done all the tourist stuff in New York, I assume that you've:

-gone to Amateur Night at the Apollo and have taken a walking tour of Harlem

-eaten yakitori and/or soba in the East Village, and shopped at St. Mark's Bookshop

-browsed through Economy Candy and the Essex Street Market, after having pastrami at Katz's and toured the Tenement Museum

-visited The Frick and then had strudel or linzer torte at the Neue Galerie

-gone to both the Italian American Museum and the Museum of Chinese Americans, and shopped at Di Palo for lunch items

-visited every section of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, including the Cloisters, and then walked along the Hudson River

-Had dinner at Red Rooster, and then taken in a Harlem jazz club

-visited with Winnie the Pooh and his friends at the main branch of the NY Public Library (there's a special exhibit on)

-watched the guys play basketball at the 4th Street Courts

- sung along to street musicians in Washington Square Park, and then had coffee and dessert at Caffe Reggio

-helped turn The Cube at Astor Place before attending a performance at The Public Theater

-shopped at Dean and DeLuca in Soho before taking in a movie at Film Forum, IFC, or Angelika

-seen the books at the Morgan Library, the Schomberg, and the Lincoln Center Library

-attended a lecture at the 92nd St Y?

If you've done all these things in 2 visits, you must be some world class traveler. But other than these things, there's absolutely nothing to do in the outer boroughs if you are a tourist, except seeing the site where not only two World's Fairs were held but the most famous tennis center in the US is located, and the oldest continuous farm in the US (Flushing Meadow Park); seeing a borough that is one of the most ethnically diverse places in the world, all from an elevated subway (the 7 Train); seeing the park designed by the same team who did Central Park, only on a larger scale (Prospect Park), which is right by the best Egyptology exhibit in the US (the Brooklyn Museum) and the second largest botanical garden in NYC (The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens), and not too far from one of our country's premier venues for performers and indie films (Brooklyn Academy of Music).

Nor do I think you might be interested in one of the best zoos in the US (The Bronx Zoo) which is right next to one of the most prestigious botanical gardens in the world (the New York Botanical Gardens). If you've seen it all, why bother? They probably have more entertainment in Liverpool, anyway. So no, I'd say there's not much to do in a city of over 8 million people that's a bit bigger than London. Especially since if you glance to the right, you'll see links to info on things to see and do in Brooklyn and Queens, as well as tips on urban exploration.

Sorry to be a bit snarky, but if you've been here twice you must no doubt realize we have museums, restaurants, entertainment venues and shopping all over, and no tourist could possibly have seen 'everything' of interest in a city where people who are born here haven't seen everything.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,835 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

Lots of people think they've done "all the touristy things", but it's hard to know what you've really experienced. Much of the time people have barely scratched the surface.

A food tour is a great idea. It's an example of something "touristy", but it sounds like you haven't yet done many of them. What about museums? Which Manhattan neighborhoods have you explored? There are always way more fabulous restaurants than any tourist (or even resident) can experience. What about Broadway Shows?

It might be a good idea to list what you HAVE done, so forum members can suggest additional things. They don't necessarily have to be "new", because I'm sure you haven't done all of the not-so-new things :-)

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Top Questions sections for lots of ideas. I'll bet you haven't done all of them. It would also be helpful to provide some info on your interests. It sounds like you might be a bit of a foodie. If so, ask more specific questions. There are quite a few foodies on the forum.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 01:41
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
196 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

You could have provided all of that wonderful information without being snarky and then having to apologize for it. Sometimes it's better to keep our opinions of how someone phrased an innocent question to ourselves.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

Prospect park is smaller than Central Park but by the time Vaux and Olmsted got to it they had a much better handle on how to do it. great (not snarky) post and you only scratched the surface of possibilities.

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

My 4th, 5th, 6th, up to dozenth, visits to Manhattan were mostly filled with smaller tourist attractions that ultimately became some of my favorites. I like a very focused museum that can be enjoyed in an afternoon or even just a couple hours. On my "favorites list" for those types of places are:

JP Morgan Museum

The Cloisters (take the bus, it's an adventure)

The Museum of Art and Design

The Forbes Gallery

American Folk Art Museum

Cooper Hewitt Museum (currently closed, I think)

Neue Gallery

NY Botanical Gardens

New-York Historical Society

In addition, do all the tours at Rockefeller Center. Try to qualify for a Big Apple Greeter. Do the Grand Central Terminal tour.

We haven't yet had time for a foodie tour but we are looking forward to that.

6. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 06:22
Edited: 30 November 2013, 06:22
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

We went to NYC for a month last winter. It was not our first trip and so we wanted to see a few things beyond the wonderful main sights.

I received so many great ideas from this Forum before we went, so I wrote a Progressive Trip Report while we were there. Here's some of the things we did that you might fit the criteria of being 'a bit more off the tourist track':

Sunday Dec 16 Brooklyn – Carroll Gardens and Dyker Heights post #1

Wednesday Dec 19 Walk around Chelsea including Highline/ Flatiron Building/ESB/Madison Square Garden (basketball) post #26

Thursday Dec 20 The Moth post #27

Wednesday Dec 26 Frick and Whitney post #47

Thursday Dec 27 Lower East Side (including a visit to the amazing Tenement Museum) post #58

Saturday Dec 29 a visit to the beautiful main branch of the Library at 42nd and 5th and Dizzy’s – Wynton Marsalis post #77

Sunday Dec 30 Neue Galerie (including lunch at Café Sabarsky) and Morgan Library Post #107

Monday Dec 31 up to the northern part of Central Park walk around and then visit the Museum of the City of New York (fantastic); followed by afternoon tea at Bergdorf Goodman, Concert at Lincoln Centre post post #108

Tuesday Jan 1 - the Guggenheim, Bar Boulud and the theatre post #114

Wednesday Jan 2 Below 54 post#115

Thursday Jan 3 the Philharmonic Open Rehearsal at the Avery Fisher Hall post #134

Friday Jan 4 walk around Greenwich Village (including lunch at Minetta Tavern) post #140

Saturday Jan 5 Our day on the bus through Brooklyn post #159

Sunday Jan 6 Roosevelt Island including the beautiful FDR Four Freedoms Memorial Park on the Southern tip of that island. Post #163

Monday Jan 7 an amazing train trip along the Hudson River to Beacon to see the Dia Museum and then on to Poughkeepsie to walk across the walkway. Post #s185 - 186

Wednesday Jan 9 Downtown and ‘Sondheim Unplugged’ at 54 Below post #192

Thursday Jan 10 top of Manhattan Island, Morningside Heights and the Upper West Side post #208

Sunday Jan 13 Frick and Whitney and the Modern for dinner post #269

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5969…

This time I am:

- going on a tour of the Woolworth's Building

- having afternoon tea at a place with a view (different to the afternoon tea I had at Bergdorf Goodman's last year)

- visiting El Museo Barrio and the Hispanic Museum

- going to Coney Island and Brighton Beach (in the winter!);

- taking the 7 train to enjoy the International Express,

- going to many special exhibitions that are on while we are there (at the Met Museum, the Frick, the NY Historical Society, MoMA)

- visiting the Masonic Lodge, the Gubbio Studio at the Met Museum, Eldridge Street Synagogue and the Society of Illustrators

- going on a "self guided/with friends" tour to places the wonderful Helene Hanff talked about in her books, particularly "Apple of My Eye", "Letters from New York"

- visiting Brooklyn to go to the Brooklyn Art Museum, Greenwood Cemetery and the Botanical Gardens

AND I am going up the Top of the Rock as the 4 other visits I went up the Empire State Building!

Edited: 30 November 2013, 06:23
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

Sorry, link didn't work -

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5969…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

When are you coming OP?

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in NYC - 3rd time round

Jenny, that sounds like a wonderful itinerary. If I could add one must-see, it would be the special children's books exhibit at the New York Public Library. It's sure to bring a smile to your face, especially if you love Winnie the Pooh!

Edited: 01 December 2013, 03:14