We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culinary shops

Cape Town
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Culinary shops

Can someone direct me to 2 or 3 really interesting/well-stocked culinary stores, please? (Kitchen equipment, not necessarily food items.)

I will be staying in Chelsea, if that helps.

Thanks.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Culinary shops

Do you want ones for foodies, or places that cater to serious cooks and people in the trade? Also, do you want ethnic cooking items, or do you want standard Western cooking equipment? Chelsea Market has a nice shop that's well-stocked, and so is Broadway Panhandler. But if you want serious equipment, consider walking along the Bowery, which has a ton of stores selling everything from commercial pizza ovens to pots of every shape and size.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Culinary shops

Try this site: …racked.com/archives/2012/07/05/top_kitchen_…

REMEMBER: Google is your friend!

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culinary shops

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4012957…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culinary shops

If you let forum members know what you are looking for, we may be able to provide more precise suggestions. High end knives? High end cookware? Bargain quality cookware? Fun kitchen gadgets? Top end pepper grinders?

I can't imagine that you want to bring home larger cooking equipment on the plane, so are there particular smaller items you are seeking?

There is an interesting kitchen shop in Chelsea Market. Since you are staying in Chelsea, you are probably planning on going there anyway. I can't say that it's the BEST culinary shop in NYC, but it was fun to browse and had some unique things to offer.

There is a shop near Eataly that we enjoyed as well. I can't remember the name, but I just looked on the map, and I think it's Whisk. We bought a few small things there and identified a few more appealing things to find online (too big to fly home with us).

There are lots of other choices, depending on what you want to buy. These were fun for browsing. Of the two, I think Whisk was more impressive.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culinary shops

Right in Chelsea is the small Wiliam Sonoma on 7th Ave at 17. There's also Bed, Bath and Beyond on 6th Ave and 18th. In Soho, head for Sur La Table on Spring and Crosby (there are actually 3 of them in Manhattan). These are just a few of the many possibilities. Like Christnp2 says, be more specific as to what you are looking for but the above should give you lots of choices.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culinary shops

If you want some very New York themed table wear have a look at Fishs Eddy

http://www.fishseddy.com/

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culinary shops

Broadway Panhandler

Upstairs at Zabar's

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Culinary shops

yep, upstairs at Zabars...fabulous place, UWS not Chelsea.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Culinary shops

Thanks to everyone for all the replies - I have more than enough to go on now.

I am not really sure what I am looking for - I enjoy food and cooking and kitchen gadgets - so I am probably just looking for a good food-related browsing experience and then buying a few items that catch my eye.

I definitely do not want to bring huge posts and pans and pizza ovens home! :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Culinary shops

Then look at Chelsea Market and Eataly