We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

Hi there. I am visiting NYC (first time) from 13 April to 21 April, with my family: 2 adults & 1 child who will be 23 months old at time of travel. We arrive at Newark airport at 11:30pm on Sunday night and fly out from Newark airport on the 21st at around 4:30pm. I have been earnestly searching for accommodation that is within $250-$280USD, and totally understand that hotel rooms in Manhattan are small and very pricey. I have also looked on airbnb, but am quite uncomfortable renting a place short term asI found out it is illegal to rent less than 30 days in a residential area? (Not sure if I'm right.) Anyway, if I choose to stay in NYC, could somebody please advise of travelling from Newark airport to a hotel in NYC? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

To the right of where you posted your query are the Top Questions About NYC and the first answers address your question - check it out.......

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

There are lots of nice options in Manhattan within that price range for your dates and not necessarily small rooms. Do you only need one king bed? What kind of amenities do you need... ?

Edited: 30 November 2013, 22:01
Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

Off the top of my head options with spacious rooms include Michelangelo Hotel (I'm seeing $ 256 per night rate for a 450 Sq. ft king room) and Affinia Shelburne ($ 285 for a one bedroom suite )

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

Have a look at LIC, somewhere like the Verve may do nicely. Only a short trip into Manhattan.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

While it's true that most of the airbnb apartment rentals are currently considered illegal (I say currently because there's a lot of arguing going on about the laws) there are perfectly legal apartment hotels that provide the benefits of an apt. (kitchen or kitchenette and a bit of extra space) and the security/convenience of a hotel (secure as in being able to read reviews and know you're booking a legitimate place) as well as daily maid service, front desk etc. With a child that young, it would be nice to have a separate living room so you could put the baby to sleep and still stay up. Unfortunately with current prices listed, I doubt you'd be able to get a 1 bedroom suite in Manhattan within your budget unless prices come down (which they could). But the Doubletree Hotel in Jersey City does have some 1 bedroom suites that come close to being within your budget on websites like travelocity, expedia, hotels.com etc. (look on kayak.com) For some reason on the hotel's own website, they don't list the 1 bedroom suite, only the jr. suites. I say almost fits your budget because when taxes are added, it's a bit over but the price is $270 plus tax fully cancelable. Candlewood suites is another suite hotel (with kitchenettes) that would work for your budget but they only have studio suites...basically all one room.

While I'm sure omear means well, I'd say staying in Long Island City when you're arriving at Newark is not a great idea. In fact, with such a young child, I'd urge you to do whatever you can to find accommodation IN Manhattan so it's easier to go back to your hotel midday for a rest, nap etc. To that end, I'd PHONE the Milburn hotel and see if you could negotiate an affordable price for a 1 bedroom suite. The location on the upper west side is great for kids. They might be willing to drop the price for a week's stay.

milburnhotel.com

The least expensive hotel I see that's decent in Manhattan is the Travel Inn for $206/night plus tax for a double double...look on kayak.com

As for getting into Manhattan from Newark, the easiest with a baby is to hire a private car but that will cost ~$75 with tolls and tipping the driver

dial7.com

allstatelimo.com

are 2 options. If you stay at the Travel Inn, it's very near Port Authority bus terminal and there's an express bus that charges ~$16/person.

www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

You could also use that if you stay at the Milburn and take a taxi or bus to the hotel. There's also train connections into Manhattan but with a baby and the equipment I imagine you'll bring, that might be too cumbersome.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

Wow! Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. I totally appreciate ALL your feedback. Yesterday I booked at Marmara Manhattan (upper East side). Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but hey, first time in NYC all a learning curve I guess. But I really do appreciate everybody's ideas and suggestions. I will most definitely be using a car service from Newark airport as suggested. Once again, thanks so much. Now to figure out an itinerary... I'm really looking forward to visiting New York!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

The Marmara is a great option and one of the legal suite hotels. Its not quite as onveniently located as say the Milburn, but it's more modern and should be a fine.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 23:52
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

Thanks nywhiz for your help.

9. Re: Hotel / Transport Recommendations please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 06:17